Lowe's sale on palms

Mexican fan is one of my least favorite. They don't produce any shade, aren't real clean, and the best you can hope for as the mature is a telephone pole with a clump of green at the top. I have a couple queen palms and some smaller palms like phoenix roebelenii and Mediterranean fan palm.

Mexican fan is one of my least favorite. They don't produce any shade, aren't real clean, and the best you can hope for as the mature is a telephone pole with a clump of green at the top. I have a couple queen palms and some smaller palms like phoenix roebelenii and Mediterranean fan palm.

Not my favorite either but in North Texas - we don't have a lot of choices that might survive the cold - pindo's and Mexican Fans are really our only choices and those are iffy. I would love a Queen Palm but it's not going to be here, that would just be a waste of money.

I bought a Canary Island Date Palm for 30 bucks from a nursery from here on clearance 70% off. Supposed to be cold hardy down to 15 or 10 depending on the web site. They are slow growers, but provide lots of shade. The canopy is huge after 2 years but trunk height has only grown about 1.5 feet. Queen palms are by far my favorite, but if it gets below 26 or so they just burn up in a freeze.

I don't know if these will grow in TX or not, but the sabol palms here in FL grow big over time, and are quite cold hardy. Where I'm at in FL, it gets below freezing about 5-10 nights in the winter. They grow nice big fronds, and are not at all spiky/prickly.

Canary Island Date Palms are good and hardy. They do take a long time to grow, though.

I don't know if these will grow in TX or not, but the sabol palms here in FL grow big over time, and are quite cold hardy. Where I'm at in FL, it gets below freezing about 5-10 nights in the winter. They grow nice big fronds, and are not at all spiky/prickly.

Canary Island Date Palms are good and hardy. They do take a long time to grow, though.

A Texas Sabal palm I believe is cold hardy down to 5 as an adult tree. A bunch of my neighbors have them and they look good to me. I just like the look of the queen palm or date palm better.

Most palms typically take a long time to grow. I'm really not that familiar with the ones that will do well in CA. Forgive my ignorance, but are you in NorCal, or SoCal? Ideally, you want one that is suited to your temperature ranges, otherwise you'll be covering/warming the thing everything there is a cold snap. I personally try to avoid plants that I have to baby in my climate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I plan to put them in 24" half round cutouts (from the block wall) which leaves a tad bit over 3' between the edge of the cutout and the edge of the pool.(5' 3" or so total from wall to water) so naturally I would really like to have something that is not going to grow too far outward or so high that all I see is trunk. the block wall is currently 6' but I will sometime down the road add 2 more feet to the top of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.