Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowe's sale on palms

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowe's sale on palms

The Lowe's by us had small 2.25 gallon Mexican Fan Palms on sale for $12 today. I bought two. They are supposed to be cold hardy to 10-20 degrees. Let's see if they can take a joke, if not, I'm not out a lot of money!
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Lowe's sale on palms

Mexican fan is one of my least favorite. They don't produce any shade, aren't real clean, and the best you can hope for as the mature is a telephone pole with a clump of green at the top. I have a couple queen palms and some smaller palms like phoenix roebelenii and Mediterranean fan palm.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Mexican fan is one of my least favorite. They don't produce any shade, aren't real clean, and the best you can hope for as the mature is a telephone pole with a clump of green at the top. I have a couple queen palms and some smaller palms like phoenix roebelenii and Mediterranean fan palm.
    Not my favorite either but in North Texas - we don't have a lot of choices that might survive the cold - pindo's and Mexican Fans are really our only choices and those are iffy. I would love a Queen Palm but it's not going to be here, that would just be a waste of money.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

4. Back To Top    #4

I bought a Canary Island Date Palm for 30 bucks from a nursery from here on clearance 70% off. Supposed to be cold hardy down to 15 or 10 depending on the web site. They are slow growers, but provide lots of shade. The canopy is huge after 2 years but trunk height has only grown about 1.5 feet. Queen palms are by far my favorite, but if it gets below 26 or so they just burn up in a freeze.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know if these will grow in TX or not, but the sabol palms here in FL grow big over time, and are quite cold hardy. Where I'm at in FL, it gets below freezing about 5-10 nights in the winter. They grow nice big fronds, and are not at all spiky/prickly.

Canary Island Date Palms are good and hardy. They do take a long time to grow, though.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by minimonster17 View Post
    I don't know if these will grow in TX or not, but the sabol palms here in FL grow big over time, and are quite cold hardy. Where I'm at in FL, it gets below freezing about 5-10 nights in the winter. They grow nice big fronds, and are not at all spiky/prickly.

Canary Island Date Palms are good and hardy. They do take a long time to grow, though.
    A Texas Sabal palm I believe is cold hardy down to 5 as an adult tree. A bunch of my neighbors have them and they look good to me. I just like the look of the queen palm or date palm better.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

7. Back To Top    #7

I haven't been able to find the sabal palm here but will keep looking - I've only seen one canary date palm, it was huge and over $1000 so I had to pass that one up! Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out.

8. Back To Top    #8

In California we have an awful lot of palms available, anyone know more about them than I do? ( not much)
    I'm looking for one that won't get too big but has a nice look and provides some shade. Space is limited.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

9. Back To Top    #9

Most palms typically take a long time to grow. I'm really not that familiar with the ones that will do well in CA. Forgive my ignorance, but are you in NorCal, or SoCal? Ideally, you want one that is suited to your temperature ranges, otherwise you'll be covering/warming the thing everything there is a cold snap. I personally try to avoid plants that I have to baby in my climate.

10. Back To Top    #10

In my area, a windmill palm would also be a good choice from a winter survival perspective.
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

11. Back To Top    #11

Southern California. Long beach. It gets mighty hot here and rarely if ever gets below 40 degrees f.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

12. Back To Top    #12

You will certainly have many more options with palm species, and a 35-40F temp threshold. What kind of space restrictions do you have, both on the ground, and max height desired?

13. Back To Top    #13

I plan to put them in 24" half round cutouts (from the block wall) which leaves a tad bit over 3' between the edge of the cutout and the edge of the pool.(5' 3" or so total from wall to water) so naturally I would really like to have something that is not going to grow too far outward or so high that all I see is trunk. the block wall is currently 6' but I will sometime down the road add 2 more feet to the top of it.