Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shock question

1. Back To Top    #1

shock question

Had my water tested at a pool store. I told him that i have green spots on my walls but my water was clear. He said my chloring level was good, but recommended shocking it. I was under the imrpession shock was used to raise chlorine levels and is just high level of chlorine. Is that not correct?
    1) 16,000 gallons
    2) cartridge
    3) in ground
    4) Pebbletec (Shasta stone)
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter. Need to find out.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mexico, MO

Re: shock question

That is essentially correct. However, a one time elevation of FC level will not clear algae from a pool. You will need to raise your FC to a high level appropriate to your CYA level, according to this chart:, and them maintain it there until you lose less that 1ppm FC overnight.

For this, you will need your own test kit that can test higher than 5 FC.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

As you have read around here in the past 3 years you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing or advice. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

As Charlie said we do not "shock" our pools, we follow the SLAM Process when there is a problem. To SLAM you need the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

You will need to SLAM the pool - - >
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Elverson Pa.

shock question

Take a look at this video. 😎
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.