Running into 2 brick walls

My husband was taking care of our pool but gave up. I don't know what happened, what he added etc. but we ended up with a cloudy pool. Two weeks ago we went to pool store and got water tested. Just for ha-ha's I had him take water to another store. He got different answers. Took it to a 3rd store and got different answers.

Up to this point he has just done whatever the pool store store tool him to do. The last thing I know he put in there was phosphate remover after he put in some mineral stuff with phosphonic acid in it. Then we put Purifiber in to help remove stuff. And clarifier. And calcium hypo shock and Salinity shock.

Pool has been cloudy ever since. I told him if it wasn't clear by yesterday I would post a message asking for help. (I was reading Pool Forum for the last week)

I haven't been able to buy a good test kit because he doesn't want to spend any more money on the pool, the one we have only tests the 4 basics, and Cl only up to 5. I will get a good test kit though, just don't have it right now.

Today it seemed a little clearer so I started with bleach and liquid chlorine. There were some pink stains on walls and floor but I gave the pool a good brushing and they came off.

Started with TC at 2.5
After shocking with liquid stuff
TC is 12
TA 70
CH 300
Stabilizer 80
Ph 7.4
Salt 3200

I know that's not high enough shock level, even for SWCG but my husband wouldn't let me put anymore in, he thinks it's bad, bleach is poison, etc.

Filter is off right now. It's been on 24/7 for a week.

It's dark now so when I turn the light on the pool has a green tinge, it was bluer during the day.

Right now I'm thinking wait until AM and test the chlorine, if there is none then shock it up to 21 and get a FAS DPD kit in the meantime.

Suggestions?

TIA

I would keep the filter on 24/7. I would keep shocking, your other numbers are in range. See the CYA/Chlorine chart for your shock level...and liquid chlorine is perfectly safe for your pool, bleach is the same thing, sodium hypochlorite. The Pool stores call it "liquid shock". It's fine, as long as you can test your FC with an FAS-DPD test and dose your pool accordingly. The only time liquid chlorine would hurt your pool is if you put too much in for extended periods. Provided your water is properly balanced, normal shocking with bleach or liquid chlorine won't hurt anything.....

You seem to have a pretty good handle on things, hubby's the skeptic? Maybe he should read the forum? Welcome, BTW! :wave:

There is no reason for him to be skeptical. Let him read some of the posts and look at pictures posted by others who have joined this site with the same issues your having right now witness and see for himself that the BBB method really does work and it does save you money !!

BUT you need to get yourself a good reliable test kit (see my signature for the link) in order to take control of your pool troubles and be "trouble free"

I can finally see the bottom of the pool but it still looks green to me. I have some stains, too. I have to go get the water tested. I tried 3 different pool stores for the test kit and every time I said "a test that registers Cl over 10" they looked at me like I had 2 heads.
[attachment=1:vjsu9gv7]IMG_0302.JPG[/attachment:vjsu9gv7]

Attachments

• IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 337
  • 305.jpg
    305.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 337
Jenn_in_FL said:
I tried 3 different pool stores for the test kit and every time I said "a test that registers Cl over 10" they looked at me like I had 2 heads.

You'll have to order it online, I was never able to locate one here, the local leslies only sells the K2005. You want a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100. There is an article in Pool School that compares them.... you get more bang for your buck with the TF100, IMHO....plus excellent customer service because Duraleigh is a member here and it's his kit.... plus lots of free advice on testing with it because many many members here use it. The link is on the home page.

Test results
Mine theirs
FC 6.5 4
CC .5 0
pH 7.3 7.4
T/A 70 50
CH 500 225
CYA 55 100
Salt ---- 3100

The CH and CYA are making me nervous. I'll take some water up to the pool builder tomorrow. The little black dot took a long time to disappear. I saw the pic Duraleigh posted on what it looks like so I think I may be closer than them. It was at 80 for a while. I haven't added anything but liquid bleach so I don't think it could have gone up. We've had rain and the kids were in the pool so I think it makes more sense that the CYA went down over going up.

As for the CH, Tropical Storm Fay is coming so if we get a lot of rain it may take care of the problem for me.

Their recommendations--Add 1.5 quarts Salinity stain control. Pour 10.6 lbs of Alkalinity increaser into pool.
Pour 13.7 lbs of calcium harness increaser, 2lbs per bucket.

I'm not adding anything

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jenn , Can I suggest shocking your pool right before it gets here. If you have no electricity and you cant run your filter for a few days then you will already have chemicals in the water and you wont have to worry about it.

If you dont get any or little rain the worst that will happen is you will have to wait for a day or so for the FC to come down if it does rain you'll be ahead of the game :!: :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.