Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Target FC before heavy swimmer activity or after heavy swimmer activity in a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Target FC before heavy swimmer activity or after heavy swimmer activity in a pool

I have recently increased my levels from 4 to 5 daily and it seems that for some reason the water becomes extremely clear after I vacuum the pool. The water is always clear before vacuuming as well. Is this because any dead organic matter or algae will all settle to the floor, etc. and then it is vacuumed up? Or I am just imagining things.

I have been very religious in maintaining my levels daily between the minimum and target FC based on my CYA. The PH, TA and CH are also all in check. There have been no signs of algae anywhere, including the light fixture or near the steps, etc. I have a friend who has spent all summer long trying to clean up a green swampy mess because he has listened to the pool store and his wife. Even though he registered for TFPC to date has not posted anything (What a shame).

Question : If I have a lot of activity in the pool, for instance 10 children and some adults in the pool for 4-8 hours each day or every other day, are there any special precautions I should take to ensure the pool stays clean and sanitary. Should I increase the FC short term? Or should I possibly do something else?

Thank you.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Target FC before heavy swimmer activity or after heavy swimmer activity in a pool

Certainly a good idea to bump up the FC by at least a couple ppm before heavy use and maybe again right after. It is safe to swim up to shock level, so a few ppm is nothing to worry about.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Target FC before heavy swimmer activity or after heavy swimmer activity in a pool

This is exactly what I wanted to know.

Q: So shocking the pool is not necessary after heavy usage?

Q: As I bump up the levels a few ppm, for example from 5 to 7, I am assuming it is safe to go swimming within 30 minutes.

I am trying to gain knowledge before next swimming season as pool will be closed in a week. Hopefully not too much snow in NJ but I am prepared. LOL

4. Back To Top    #4

Correct for both.

Only need to SLAM after you have a problem. Maintain adequate FC and you don't need to shock/slam
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Thanks for your continued support ! Nice to be part of the forum. Boy have I learned a lot.