Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tips for installing granite on small outdoor bar?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liverpool, NY

Tips for installing granite on small outdoor bar?

Hi, this summer I built a small outdoor bar. It is framed in pressure treated wood with a bamboo face. I made it so I can slide it against the house in the winter. Its 66" long,22" deep and 41" high. Its heavy, but I can slide it on the patio without much effort. I want to put on a granite top, and was able to locate a remnant that is 72L" X 25W" X 3/4" thick, so there would be a overhang on the sides and front. It gets full sun, but, will be outside ( and covered ) during the winter months also. I have a solid pressure treated lumber top that is pretty solid. Can I glue the slab right onto the wood? or any other ideas to secure the top? There would not be anything lifting up on the top or anything like that.
    Upstate/Central New York. Roman style IG fiberglass pool, 13X33, 8800 gallons, installed July 2012. Pentair cartridge filter, 1 hp Pentair single speed pump. Taylor K2006 Test kit. Went BBB route in spring of 2013, no problems, no regrets!!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Tips for installing granite on small outdoor bar?

It should work. Granite is usually held in place by gravity and a couple of well placed dollops of silicone. Th esilicone is an adhesive, but is there more to keep it from sliding as the weight holds it in place.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW metroplex

Re: Tips for installing granite on small outdoor bar?

Just a thought - could you add locking wheels to the bottom of your bar to make it easier to move?
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill