Algae but not cloudy - something different

So, I've been reading this site for a while and it seems that a lot of posters are battling cloudy or greenish water without much comment on algae on the walls. In our case, our water is nearly perfect - I can see the screw heads at 8 feet down and it looks crystal clear but we have had to slam to clear some green algae buildup at the corners and at the base of the walls. This is starting again. Does this suggest a different problem? Maybe poor circulation? We have a clear solar cover that we leave on for 3-4 days straight most weeks. Pool has one skimmer and three returns plus two in the stairs.

Stenner keeps FC between 6 and 7 with cya of 50 without fail. PH is 7.5 and stable. Cc is never above 0.5. This year, the temp has been steadily around 83f with some help from the heater. We do have lots of trees dropping junk on the pool but my understanding has always been that if the fc was correct, this shouldn't be an issue. I run the robot at least once per week.

Do you have a main drain? If you do not have one or if is not in use than you do not have a propper circulation since the warm water will stay closer to the surface and the cold water will remain closer to the bottom of the pool. One must be sure that water in the pool is well mixed up in order to have a propper sanitation. I see that you have a robot, put it to work. It will mix the cold and warm water and in this way you will have the same level of chlorine everywere. Redirecting the return jets might work as well.

You eat; You brush your teeth. Feed your pool; Brush your pool.

You have to help your pool out by brushing it.

Put a ping pong ball in your pool. Watch it with the pump on. Where does it go? I bet you will find it does not really go to the corners so....................there will be a problem with algae in the corners and such.

When my husband gets lazy on the brushing of the side of the pool we have the same problem. He finds that a good brushing at least 3 times a week does the job.

Kim

Check any ladders and light niches. Pull the lights and clean anything that comes in contact with the pool (including smelly children and pool toys).

Check that solar cover. I like the idea of a solar cover but, in practice, they are a pain in my opinion. And believe me, I live in the SW where a solar cover has significant impact on water evaporation. They are too messy and annoying for me to use and they are great algae nests.

Check your filter as well. If you have a sand filter, deep clean it. And, as others have stated, brush you pool weekly.

One other point to make - you say the algae is at the seam? How old is your liner? I'm no expert at vinyl liners but I do believe certain kinds of algae can infiltrate the vinyl especially at the seem and algae can grow behind the liner. Then, you kill the stuff at the surface but the colony deeper in remains.

You may need to use mustard algae shock levels and then keep your FC above target. Also, borates might help as well and, a topic that is highly verboten here, the dreaded and all-consuming evil phosphates :eek: Some folks have noted that, after using phosphate removers, their pools are much less sensitive to certain types of algae. Finally, as insurance, you could use a regular dose of Polyquat-60 to help.

Good Luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.