Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re-equiping the pool equipment shed

1. Back To Top    #1

Re-equiping the pool equipment shed

Our 40 year old pool and basic plumbing could use up-dating I think but I need advice. I have a single speed pump and would like to use more modern gear to save electricity. Seems as if my ProLogic control would be happier with Hayward pumps but the Pentair IntelliPro appears more popular. Also the Hayward VS has a detachable control module which might help my 80+ back.

Cannot physically remove redundant heater but it seems a bypass valve would save ~7psi. Filter gauge (newish) reads 22psi with solar ON. 220v supply has 6.1 amps in each leg. Need professional help I expect but no one near here seems to be really professional?

Have had Genie-Chlor, Lectranator and Compupool but the all died and the "pool guy" is happier with ordinary chemicals than salt.

All ideas eagerly awaited.
    30,000 gallons, in ground concrete, 2 straight sides other 2 curved. Built 1974. Teledyne Laars Hi-E2 heater that we never use due to Poco (Fafco) solar panels 8 4x8. Many replacements over the decades. Now Goldline P-4 control, Pentair CCP420 cartridge filter, Polaris PB-460. 2002 new AE 100 FLL pump 1.5hp SF 1.65

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Re-equiping the pool equipment shed

Welcome to TFP!

I have limited experience with automation controls as my set up is a simple timer for the pump, no SWCG. Depending on your electrical costs, which I'm guessing are high and may have day/night cheaper rates, you could save a good amount going with a VS or even a two-speed pump.

A bypass valve is a great idea to bypass the heater. If you never want to use the heater, you could also disconnect and remove entirely but the option might be nice if the heater is still operable.

I'm sure your pool guy doesn't like salt systems as you'd likely not need him at all anymore if you have your own proper test kit and are comfortable taking over the pool yourself.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Re-equiping the pool equipment shed

Thanks for the welcome and advice on the heater bypass. I will do that once the solar swimming season is over. Too inflexible to do the pool chemistry my self.
    30,000 gallons, in ground concrete, 2 straight sides other 2 curved. Built 1974. Teledyne Laars Hi-E2 heater that we never use due to Poco (Fafco) solar panels 8 4x8. Many replacements over the decades. Now Goldline P-4 control, Pentair CCP420 cartridge filter, Polaris PB-460. 2002 new AE 100 FLL pump 1.5hp SF 1.65