Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Emergency help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Emergency help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!

just got home from vacation and went to add bleach. Instead, I dumped about a cup of used motor oil in the pool. HELP!! pool calculator doesn't mention this additive. Save the picking on me till the real answers come in, then I'm open for the abuse. thanks
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Emergency help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are enzyme products that can help remove oils, can't think of the name. Also a scum-ball would help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

oil will float on the surface
    get an empty soda bottle and use like a skimmer to drain as much oil off surface as possible
    dont turn on pump as it will make it worse
    hopefully richard will respond soon
    earth to chem-geek we need you
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

How about a Wet Vac with an attachment to grab the surface water. The attachment should be about 8 inches long. It would be a slow process if it works. Try a small area and I would recommend moving slowly like your are vacuuming the pool so there is not too much movement in the water. Hopefully this will work. Good Luck !
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

5. Back To Top    #5

http://www.amazon.com/Scumbug-Oil-Ab.../dp/B003ZJZ8N2

you could also try a small oil boom that sits above and below the water line to "push" the oil into one area of the pool. Then use suction to clean it out...

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought 4 scumballs and put them in the skimmers. Also bought a bottle of pool first aid since it was suggested on TFP back in 2009.
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, Pool First Aide will help, scumbugs, and pig mats will also help soak up oil. Where you using old bleach bottles to store the oil?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I think that you are on the right track. Muriatic Acid gets it out of concrete. Don't.know about in the pool. Will dump your ph.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

9. Back To Top    #9

All are good suggestions. Scooping, scum balls, enzymes, and PIGŪ Oil-Only Absorbent Mat Pad. The good news is that oil and water does not mix so most of it should be easily removable. The rest that does slightly mix in to the water will likely get filtered out as the oil will want to bind to the filter material more than it will want to stay in the water (similar to body oils which filters are designed to remove).

I would do the physical removal techniques first and leave the enzymes as a last resort for anything left over.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Ouch...can relate to that...hubby bought a new gas powered blower and first time I used it I slung it running right into the pool. Luckily no ill effects for pool or blower. Kinda hard explaining it to the hubs ....:/
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

11. Back To Top    #11

I just want to say good luck, and you are not the first to do this, when I started reading this thread I first thought someone had revived a thread from a couple of years ago, as it reads almost identical to one I have seen on here before.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

A cup shouldn't be too bad, but now that you have some answers.......

How in the WORLD are bleach and used oil mixed up at your place? I just thought it was crazy land around here sometimes.....
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

I should have pulled the label off the bottle. Thanks for all the replies. I put two scum balls in each skimmer and added the pool first aid, no sheen on top of the water this morning,

- - - Updated - - -

Actually it is kinda of a fitting situation. I had to drain the oil in one of the four wheelers before vacation because it had gotten water in it.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by smforte View Post
    Ouch...can relate to that...hubby bought a new gas powered blower and first time I used it I slung it running right into the pool. Luckily no ill effects for pool or blower. Kinda hard explaining it to the hubs ....:/
    I can believe you dropped it in the pool, but how did it not mess the blower up? My wife was afraid I was gonna knock the pressure washer in the pool. Luckily I just fell in. Would've been cheaper to drop the pressure washer in. I can fix a pressure washer. I had to drop $300 on a new iphone.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Ive noticed oil likes to collect in the skimmer as the top layer since it floats. The suction of the pump pulls more water from below the surface than whats on top and leaves the oil in the skimmer. Just scoop it out of the skimmer.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

16. Back To Top    #16

Seems everything is ok. There was no smell or sheen on the water surface yesterday. We got in and wiped out the skimmers and tile line. We threw away the scumballs and added new ones. Tested the water and all the numbers were good.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Reddogdan View Post
    Seems everything is ok. There was no smell or sheen on the water surface yesterday. We got in and wiped out the skimmers and tile line. We threw away the scumballs and added new ones. Tested the water and all the numbers were good.
    Glad to hear everything worked out. This is a good thread showing how not to panic and just think the problem through.

All the VOCs will just burn off. Heavy junk will go to the bottom and get vacuumed out and light stuff will get sucked up by Pig Blanket and ScumBalls.

You might want to clean out your filter though. Not sure about cartridge filters but you might consider soaking the cartridges in a garbage pail with some kind of pool compatible surfactant to clear any oil out of it.