Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: please help me understand

1. Back To Top    #1

Question please help me understand

My FC does not go below 6ppm. My CC are less than .5 or 0 all the time. But every once in awhile I get a very slight alga along the seam of the wall. I raise the FC up, vacuum the next day and pass the 3 criteria. I've moved the jets around for better circulation and swim every day to move the water around. Run my filter for 4 hrs at night and 3 hrs in the middle of the day. It is covered with a solar cover when not in use. I test regularly and everything is good.
    Fc 10
    Ph 7.5
    Cc 0
    TA 100
    CYA 35
    How does this algae grow. The water is crystal clear and has been all season. What am I missing?
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: please help me understand

Don't know the answer but your thread pretty much beat me to it. Same issue here. Even your pool is almost the same as mine.
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the algae dead or growing? That is, does it puff away very very easily, or does it take a bit of brushing to knock it loose?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

It puffs away with my bare hand.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to be brushing your pools weekly. Lack of brushing is the biggest contributor to your algae. Imagine eating a Philly steak and cheese and NOT brushing your teeth. You'll have that sandwich far longer to munch on than you wish if you don't brush after eating yeah? Brush your pool and it will sparkle!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

More brushing does seem to be the conventional wisdom. But what is it supposed to do if there is no algae? Just force the water to circulate? I just don't quite understand what brushing a pristine pool is supposed to achieve.
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub

7. Back To Top    #7

If it's puffing away, it's probably dead algae. How clean is the top of your solar cover?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

8. Back To Top    #8

When you brush your teeth at night and go to bed, you obviously did not eat but you wake up and brush your teeth right? You have yuck mouth and want to get rid of it. Your pool, although it's chlorinated, has to have the biofilms that are growing all the time in it, brushed weekly to keep the *poofing* away. Every pool needs weekly brushing or it will do this. Even my pool does it. The consensus is to brush because it works even if the pool is pristine. There is no gimmick or science behind it. Water and sunlight cause algae. Chlorine kills algae and brushing is another tool to keep it at bay and let the chlorine kill it. A pristine pool has no algae.

Trouble free pool includes manually brushing the pool. No one called it lazy free pool. We still have to work pool side to keep the trouble free pool going by testing accurately, dosing accordingly and manually assisting the pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay I get that and it makes sense on the brushing thing for buildup of some kind. However, if the chlorine kills algae, shouldn't a properly and definitely over chlorinated pool not allow it to grow at all? We're not talking above the water line. Even if its dead it had to be alive to grow in the first place. If there is no brushing i can see a build up of something, but not algae since it should not grow at all. If I slept with a mouthful of listerine, i probably would not have to brush my teeth in the morning. That is why I'm baffled.

My solar cover seems pretty clean. I havent actually cleaned it. It is on a roller so the chlorine should keep it pretty clean, no?
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm pretty sure algae spores are airborne. You're always going to get a little bit of something in the pool. Your correct FC/CYA levels will always keep it from taking over.

11. Back To Top    #11

Its the first time i've seen it. Its kind of like a very slight light green ring at the base of the pool walls. Would it not show up in the test results though? How can u have 0 CCs and have a green ring around the pool?
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

12. Back To Top    #12

CCs are combine chlorines (aka chloramines) which are the byproducts of chlorine oxidizing (usually nitrogen based) compounds. It's very common to see 0 CCs during a swamp clearing process.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

If you don't expose the algae you can't see by brushing, (there's talk of film) might not register any CC's because it isn't reacting to the chlorine. I bought a good brush and brush every couple of days. It is insurance against any areas of poor circulation. Wondering if you checked for CC's a little while after brushing if they would show up then? Hope I made sense, not sure I explained what I mean clearly enough!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Let me rephrase....even if you have algae, you may very well never see CCs on a test.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thats why this forum is great. I learn stuff all the time. I didnt think this was possible. Now i know. Thanks
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

16. Back To Top    #16

The circulation of water at a pool's surface goes to zero by definition (the pool surface itself is not moving). Unless you have returns pointed right at a wall, then the water flow in some areas will be limited more by diffusion than by circulation. If there are indentations in the surface, then there may be little exposure to the general chlorine levels in the pool in that area. If for whatever reason some algae spores get into that region, they could grow.

Brushing physically removes such spores and also stirs the water in the region to get chlorine deeper into crevices to oxidize anything in that area. If you have proper chlorine levels and brush, you can kill off everything in the crevices so that it is unlikely for regrowth to occur. If you don't brush, then shocking might diffuse enough chlorine to kill the surface algae but deeper in the crevice it is still alive and will come back. This is why we recommend regular brushing of pool surfaces.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"