Pool leak bucket test results in......Help me interpret

Victor Newman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 6, 2014
Grants Pass, OR
I did not plug some lines as I just read about this procedure, AFTER doing the tests described:

This is a 15,000 gal., 16x32 inground pool. Pad does not show any leak and the backwash overflow line is dry. It has been HOT here in southern OR for a month, and solar bubble cover was off for 3 weeks. Even when the bubble cover was on, it seemed to me I was refilling the pool more than the usual.

Turned off the pump and set bucket on step and filled close to top. Marked inside of bucket. Marked outside of bucket. Ran pool pump for 24 hours. Shut pump off and found pool level had dropped 3/4 inch. Bucket level dropped 1/2 inch.

Promptly filled the bucket again, close to top and re-marked inside. Re-marked out side of bucket and left pump OFF for 24 hours. Pool level dropped one inch and bucket dropped 1/4 inch.

Think this tells me that there is a leak.....but NOT in the PVC lines. Am I right? Leak could be in the skimmer, tile/grout, light or eyeball returns. Or in the main drain at the bottom of the pool....or where the ladder goes into the pool floor.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would plug all the lines then see if it still leaks and get them out of the equation.
Make sure there isn't any grout and or missing tiles anywhere around the pool/spa. One place to check really good is in the skimmer opening where the tiles meet the skimmer weir. Make sure no grout has come off.

I called the pool builder who did this pool in 1993. He too wanted me to check the skimmer as the prime suspect. I am now pumping out water and in a few hours it will be below the skimmer. I ran the pool for 24 hours on 9/6 and part of 9/7. I shut off the pump mid-day 9/7 and it was off as of 0900, 9/9.

I re-checked the pool level this a.m. and it had dropped 2 - 1/2 inches from the original test mark. The bucket level dropped 3/4 inch from the original test mark.

I dropped the pool level below the skimmer yesterday about noon and did a 24 hour bucket test with the pump off.

Result was both the pool and bucket lost the same amount of water....about 1/4 inch. I did look inside the skimmer and saw a crack on each side in the grout or plaster, near some tiles. I bought some A and B epoxy putty and will cram some in each crack.....then refill the pool and run a 24 hour test with pool on....and another 24 hour test with the pool off.

Well, maybe the main culprit...but there could be accomplices. Did a 12 hour overnight bucket test with pump off. Pool went down one inch and bucket down one-half inch.

I am now draining the pool down further to expose the eyeball returns and Polaris cleaner fitting. Maybe I will go lower to expose the light. Will let you know results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the pool leaks down, it will stop itself at the level of the culprit. So you may want to drain to just above a suspect and see if it goes below that one on its own (clearing that suspect). Repeat the process at the level of each suspected leak.

Has licensed pool contractor here today. He agreed the skimmer had gaps and cracks and needed patching. He thought A&B putty was bad idea. He has his own 2-part, the name escapes me. He squeezed a few drops of reagent near the pool light and pronounced it OK. Eyeballs and Polaris fittings do not leak as they are male threads that go into female threads.

I do not have a ladder going into the pool floor it is a hand rail by the concrete steps. There is rust stain where the rail goes into pool floor. RED ALERT !! He pronounced this the main problem and squeezed some reagent on top of the rust and it seeped into the floor. DOUBLE RED ALERT. He wants me to watch pool level for a couple of more days, pump off..... and call him with results. He thinks rust is from rebar and his plan is to drain the pool some more and jackhammer the rail out.... and keep going until all rusted material/rebar is gone. Then fill with hydraulic cement and replaster.

Will keep you posted and any comments will be appreciated.

Ha -- I've been following your thread with interest, and never noticed that it was in the above ground section of the forum... great powers of observation, I guess :)

People seem to put their discussions about leaks in the 'Everything Else' section of the forum -- not a very distinctive title.

OK, everything done. Contractor drained pool (relief holes drilled) and pressure tested. No leaks. Rail jackhammered out and some rusted rebar cut out. Hole filled with hydraulic cement and plastered over. Skimmer patched in three places. 2 part Deck-O-Seal applied between concrete patio and coping. DE grids removed and cleaned. Thanks for your comments.

UPDATE...So, the pool continued to leak after the contractor left. I did many 24 hour bucket tests with the pump ON and pump OFF. Pump OFF results showed more water loss, considering evaporation rate of about 1/4 inch per 24 hours.

The problem turned out to be cracks in the skimmer. Now fixed. Bucket tests show only 1/4 inch loss due to evaporation...with pump on and off.

NEW RELATED QUESTION, please: This is about a 12,000 pool. How many GPD am I losing due to evaporation of 1/4 inch in 24 hours. Think there is a formula, but I can't find it. (Based on my refill output...I guess 300 GPD, but I would like to know for sure)

Many thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.