Hard plumb rectangular ultra-frame?

jmcdtucson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2014
Flagstaff, AZ
Pool Size
I'm installing a thru-wall Hayward skimmer (yay) today and I want to keep my existing outlet as well.

With this kind of pool can I have rigid PC from the pool to the pump? Or do I need something flexible?

I've searched and searched but can't find a definitive answer to my question. All the pools are round and the look like the walls might not move as much as the big rectangular pool.

Also, I'm planning to use 1.5" PVC. Is that the right size for my pump?
Thanks!

Well, here is my plan:

I'm just going to hard plumb the minimum I need to do to add the skimmer but leave it as an option for the future to hard plumb everything.

I'll use 1-1/2" Rigid PVC throughout. I think there will be enough to allow it to flex.

Skimmer will be installed 3ft. to the right of the existing outlet (away from the return).

From skimmer:
Male Threaded/Slip adapter
PVC pipe to Ball Valve (slip connector type glued in)
PVC from Ball Valve down to ground level into a slip elbow
PVC along ground toward existing outlet. Place a slip/slip/slip Tee
Out of the Tee, going up, PVC pipe to a slip/slip coupler into a Cantex bushing adapter into existing Intex host up to the existing outlet.
Continuing from the Tee along the ground, PVC to a slip elbow.
PVC up to the height of the pump inlet. Another slip elbow
PVC to coupler to Cantex bushing adapter into the pump inlet.

Not sure if that makes much sense without a picture. I'll take a pic when it's done.

Thanks. I think I'll just plumb the skimmer to the existing Intex hose and shut off the valve to the existing outlet for now.
When I have the flex pvc, and a little more time and ambition, I'll hard plumb the existing outlet back into the system and maybe hard plumb the other side.

Well, it's done. I followed basically the same method as trailbuddy69. It was nerve-wracking cutting that liner but, knock on vinyl, NO leaks.

Starting from the skimmer. 1-1/2" Male NPT x slip into the skimmer. PVC pipe to a slip/slip ball valve. Then flexible PVC to just below the old outlet which I plan to hook back into the system someday.

2014-09-07 14.51.11.jpg

On the other end, I used a 2" to 1-1/2" slip/slip reducer into a 2" male NPT by slip adapter to go from 1-1/2" PVC to the Intex hose. The intex hose does connect very well to 2" PVC NPT. You just need a gasket.

2014-09-07 16.25.10.jpg

I trimmed a gasket I had from the inlet of my original Intex pump that had burnt out. The lip that goes into the hose is too big for the Intex hose so I trimmed that off flush, just leaving the flat washer-like gasket. I used silicon pool lube to lubricate the gasket.

2014-09-07 16.49.43.jpg

I used Rector thread seal for the two threaded connections. I was very nervous cutting the liner and again when opening the ball valve. But there were no leaks at all and the pump runs with no air in it. Now it's time for a cold beverage.

2014-09-07 16.25.49.jpg

2014-09-07 14.53.07.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.