Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is around my drain and how do I get rid of it?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is around my drain and how do I get rid of it?

We moved into the house with a pool about 2 months ago. I found this site and we have had great luck with our pool... Until a couple days ago. The pool started to look cloudy during the day, so I added some bleach for good luck. The next morning it looked like this. I turned on the filter and brushed the pool. Turned on the sweeper for a bit longer hoping that would take care of it. During the day, the pool looked pretty good, but the next day it looked like this again. There is also a layer of this in the entry to the skimmers.

My latest numbers from last night are:
    FC 7.5 added 45 oz bleach
    CC 0
    PH 7.7 added 18 oz muriatic acid
    TA 90
    CH 600
    CYA 80

I know that CH and CYA are high, but will deal with that when we resurface the pool.

TA is low, but I did not want to add baking soda... Another powder to the pool until I figured this out.

Any thoughts? Is it DE getting through the filter?

image.jpg
    POOL: 20,000 IG Pebble Sheen(2017), attached spa with fountain and spillway, built 1998
    FILTER: Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE
    PUMP: AO Smith USQ1152 1 1/2 HP single speed
    SWEEP: Polaris with a BOOSTER: Century Centurion Pentair LA01N 3/4 HP
    TEST KIT: TF-100 BLOWER: Silencer Air Blower 1 1/2 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is around my drain and how do I get rid of it?

Can you get in and touch/feel it? It looks like dead algae, and it would be slimy if that was it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

I just felt the build up at the skimmer entry point and then opened the pump filter to feel it there. It felt more like very fine grit rather than something slimy. I am thinking it may be time to tear down the filter and check the fins. Anyone have any thoughts about that?
    POOL: 20,000 IG Pebble Sheen(2017), attached spa with fountain and spillway, built 1998

4. Back To Top    #4

Check to make sure your spa and pool valves are in the correct position. I had one of the Valve actuators fail when I switched from spa mode back to pool mode and it dumped some of the DE powder back into the pool from the main drain. It looked exactly like your pool does, minus the dirty DE which looks like you need to backwash.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info. I am convinced that it was DE. I had been playing with some of the valves that I had not moved before. Pressure is good on the filter but it has been a month since I backwashed. I will give that a shot and see what happens.

6. Back To Top    #6

I turned the skimmers off and the main drain on full power for the most suction. Then slowly and carefully swept towards the drain to get as much sucked in as possible. I didn't want to just stir it up and have it as a cloud in the whole pool. Then we had a day of fun in the pool. This morning it looked like this. Seems like it was just DE that had made its way into the pool when I was moving some of the valves around. Today I will backwash and reload the filter with fresh DE. Thanks for the advice.

image.jpg