I have a Coverstar pool cover with a Hydac hydraulic motor and I am having trouble finding routine maintenance information. The pool cover is about 43 X 20 and is a kidney bean pool in a rectangular deck. When installed in 2005 I suspect they gave me the hydraulic unit because of deck drag.
Cover has been working fine all summer. Has new ropes and sliders, Glides well but is occasionally having trouble this past week closing fully. Stops about 4 inches shy.
Tracks and deck have ben cleaned and the ropes are aligned. Pulleys seem smooth.
What little information I could find on the hydraulic unit says the fluid should be changed about every 2 years. I'm not sure it has ever been changed. Fluid inspection at the dipstick shows the level is a little bit low, but the fluid looks clean.
Pictures of my unit and its labels are attached below.
1) Would adding more fluid to the reservoir increase the strength of the motor? If so, which fluid ? they recommend ISO 46 or dextron III , but I do not know what is currently in the unit and they advise against mixing different fluids. They did not mark the fluid used on the unit as their own brochure recommends.
2) If the best option is to change all the fluid is the drain the large hex on the bottom front plate. Does one refill through the dipstick hole on the top ? There are also two more hex plugs on the top- one large on the large front plate and one small, on the pressure adjustment valve block.
3) If I change the fluid I would like to do it without removing the hydraulic hoses. is this possible? I think it is but I am not sure. I believe that freely running the motor after a fluid change should purge all the air?
4) Any tips for adjusting the pressure valves with or without a fluid addition or change.
5) is any sort of a pipe dope necessary if plugs are removed and replaced?
Thanks ahead for any advice or direction to a service manual. I have only found a basic install manual that is limited.