Pipe Insulation

Always start your own thread when you have a question, rather than hijack (or necropost). Staring your own thread removes the confusion and gives your question the attention it deserves. :smile: Butterfly

I am putting pool in and right next to the pool a pool house, shed. Well in order to put the shed where I want I have cut out a hill and have a retaining wall built. The problem is my septic line to my drain fields passes right thru this area and at the upper part of the hill I will only be leaving about 5 or 6 inches or dirt on top of the pipe. For the most part water is almost always flowing thru this thing but I'm going to try to insulate it as much as possible. Also the shed will be on top of most of it so I'm hoping that provides some insulation as well. I know this is kinda off topic but if anyone has any direction I would appreciate it.

You might consider making a box of 2" foam board insulation around your pipe runs. That you should be able to seal up fairly well. Still wrap them in reflectix, as well.

I only have a 20' run from my heater to the pool, and I wrapped my return line with pool noodles. Made a 3* difference at the pool return. Yes, I'm :crazy: but who cares? If it works, do it!

You might consider making a box of 2" foam board insulation around your pipe runs. That you should be able to seal up fairly well. Still wrap them in reflectix, as well.

I only have a 20' run from my heater to the pool, and I wrapped my return line with pool noodles. Made a 3* difference at the pool return. Yes, I'm :crazy: but who cares? If it works, do it!

I assume this answer was for me? ��

Do you know the depth of the frost line in your area?

Any pipes carrying water typically need to be below the frost line. Is your work going to expose the pipe or was it not properly buried to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes. I see the problem now.....hmm, would a wrap-around pipe heater tape work? I use them on my external pipes because we can actually dip below freezing here at night in the desert. They stay plugged in all winter and kick in when the pipe temp drops below 36F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided to raise my building up in the back. That way there will be about 18 in of dirt remaining on the pipe. Also failed to mention here that there will also be a building laying on this area of the pipe too. I'm hoping that also provides some ground insulation as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.