Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pipe Insulation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pipe Insulation

Always start your own thread when you have a question, rather than hijack (or necropost). Staring your own thread removes the confusion and gives your question the attention it deserves. Butterfly

I am putting pool in and right next to the pool a pool house, shed. Well in order to put the shed where I want I have cut out a hill and have a retaining wall built. The problem is my septic line to my drain fields passes right thru this area and at the upper part of the hill I will only be leaving about 5 or 6 inches or dirt on top of the pipe. For the most part water is almost always flowing thru this thing but I'm going to try to insulate it as much as possible. Also the shed will be on top of most of it so I'm hoping that provides some insulation as well. I know this is kinda off topic but if anyone has any direction I would appreciate it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pipe Insulation

You might consider making a box of 2" foam board insulation around your pipe runs. That you should be able to seal up fairly well. Still wrap them in reflectix, as well.

I only have a 20' run from my heater to the pool, and I wrapped my return line with pool noodles. Made a 3* difference at the pool return. Yes, I'm but who cares? If it works, do it!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    You might consider making a box of 2" foam board insulation around your pipe runs. That you should be able to seal up fairly well. Still wrap them in reflectix, as well.

I only have a 20' run from my heater to the pool, and I wrapped my return line with pool noodles. Made a 3* difference at the pool return. Yes, I'm but who cares? If it works, do it!
    I assume this answer was for me? ��

4. Back To Top    #4

For both of you, actually, since you both are planning to keep your pumps running over winter. Otherwise it wouldn't do any good.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you know the depth of the frost line in your area?

Any pipes carrying water typically need to be below the frost line. Is your work going to expose the pipe or was it not properly buried to begin with.

6. Back To Top    #6

It was buried properly. When I level out the area I won't expose it just take soil off the top of it, not leaving as much below the ground. It was originally 24 in deep. Think 18" is the frost line.
    22,500 Gallon, In Ground, Plaster, Jandy DE Filter, Jandy Pump, Built in Fall of 2014, Filled by water truck and partially by well.

7. Back To Top    #7

Pipe Insulation

Yikes. I see the problem now.....hmm, would a wrap-around pipe heater tape work? I use them on my external pipes because we can actually dip below freezing here at night in the desert. They stay plugged in all winter and kick in when the pipe temp drops below 36F.

8. Back To Top    #8

I decided to raise my building up in the back. That way there will be about 18 in of dirt remaining on the pipe. Also failed to mention here that there will also be a building laying on this area of the pipe too. I'm hoping that also provides some ground insulation as well.
    22,500 Gallon, In Ground, Plaster, Jandy DE Filter, Jandy Pump, Built in Fall of 2014, Filled by water truck and partially by well.