Dunk Tank Help

Jun 9, 2014
Merrimack, NH
I have a couple questions about whether or not to maintain the water in a dunk tank and if so, how to go about it. I was thinking I could add water from the pool into the dunk tank. It's a 21000 gallon gunite pool and the numbers are PH - 7.5, TA - 90, CH - 300, Borates - 50, CYA - 50. Is it worth taking 500 gallons out of this and the subsequent drop in CH and Borates or am I better off just adding town water?

Also, if you think I should be adding chlorine to the dunk tank, any tips on how much and how often for either way?

It doesn't matter that much so just do what's easier. As for whether it needs to be chlorinated, if you plan on keeping the dunk tank water around for more than a day or so and you want to prevent algae, then you need to do something to the water to disinfect it and prevent algae growth. You could treat it similar to a spa which means adding more chlorine after a dunk if the person is in the water for a while. It shouldn't need as much chlorine as a spa since I presume the water will be much cooler.

I think we will need more info ... like how long the tank is going to be setup? How often drained and refilled?

If you are filling it for a few hours, then I would think you just add a couple ppm of FC and call it good. I am not sure why you would want to try to maintain it for days at a time.

My son's party is Sunday @ 12 and I figure it will go until around 4 or 5. If I use town water I was going to fill it tomorrow to allow it to warm up a little but from the pool I could do it Sunday morning. It sounds like doing town water Sunday morning might be the easiest since it will be cold. Do you think 3 ppm FC will be enough for the length of the party?

How do you know? My water is not that cold coming out of the tap ... at least this time of year ;)
It may not be that cold here in Tucson. But, I used to live in MA. (also IL. and MI.), and the OP is in NH. Forty years as a firefighter I've dealt with a few dunk tanks. Up north water mains are buried six feet underground and tap water can be really cold.

With no CYA in the water, the FC will drop fast. But you really are not going to have it full for long. I would put in about 2ppm when you fill, raise back to 2ppm in the evening, and then back to 2ppm right before the party. Still likely overkill.

If you are using a municipal water supply to fill the tank, then the water will already be chlorinated going in, as to how much more chlorine to add there are a number of factors, but given its limited use, a trichlor puck might be the simple solution. If you don't have one on hand, they are often sold in single or double packs at big box stores where they sell small seasonal pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.