Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dunk Tank Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Dunk Tank Help

I have a couple questions about whether or not to maintain the water in a dunk tank and if so, how to go about it. I was thinking I could add water from the pool into the dunk tank. It's a 21000 gallon gunite pool and the numbers are PH - 7.5, TA - 90, CH - 300, Borates - 50, CYA - 50. Is it worth taking 500 gallons out of this and the subsequent drop in CH and Borates or am I better off just adding town water?

Also, if you think I should be adding chlorine to the dunk tank, any tips on how much and how often for either way?
    21,000 Gallon - In Ground - Plaster - Pentair FNS-48 DE 48 Square Feet - 1.5 HP - Hayward Pump - In Floor returns

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dunk Tank Help

It doesn't matter that much so just do what's easier. As for whether it needs to be chlorinated, if you plan on keeping the dunk tank water around for more than a day or so and you want to prevent algae, then you need to do something to the water to disinfect it and prevent algae growth. You could treat it similar to a spa which means adding more chlorine after a dunk if the person is in the water for a while. It shouldn't need as much chlorine as a spa since I presume the water will be much cooler.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

I think we will need more info ... like how long the tank is going to be setup? How often drained and refilled?

If you are filling it for a few hours, then I would think you just add a couple ppm of FC and call it good. I am not sure why you would want to try to maintain it for days at a time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

It will be cold if filled with town tap water. Ask me how I know.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    It will be cold if filled with town tap water. Ask me how I know.
    How do you know? My water is not that cold coming out of the tap ... at least this time of year
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

My son's party is Sunday @ 12 and I figure it will go until around 4 or 5. If I use town water I was going to fill it tomorrow to allow it to warm up a little but from the pool I could do it Sunday morning. It sounds like doing town water Sunday morning might be the easiest since it will be cold. Do you think 3 ppm FC will be enough for the length of the party?
    21,000 Gallon - In Ground - Plaster - Pentair FNS-48 DE 48 Square Feet - 1.5 HP - Hayward Pump - In Floor returns

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    How do you know? My water is not that cold coming out of the tap ... at least this time of year
    It may not be that cold here in Tucson. But, I used to live in MA. (also IL. and MI.), and the OP is in NH. Forty years as a firefighter I've dealt with a few dunk tanks. Up north water mains are buried six feet underground and tap water can be really cold.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

With no CYA in the water, the FC will drop fast. But you really are not going to have it full for long. I would put in about 2ppm when you fill, raise back to 2ppm in the evening, and then back to 2ppm right before the party. Still likely overkill.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

If you are using a municipal water supply to fill the tank, then the water will already be chlorinated going in, as to how much more chlorine to add there are a number of factors, but given its limited use, a trichlor puck might be the simple solution. If you don't have one on hand, they are often sold in single or double packs at big box stores where they sell small seasonal pools.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~