Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Amount of chlorine gereration from SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Amount of chlorine gereration from SWG

Not an important question but one mostly of interest. I have a Jandy SWG for my 15000 gal pool. I just wondered how much actual chlorine they generate in like 12 hour period. Im not really looking for exact numbers. Would you think it would be equal to a few cups of 8% bleach per 12 hr period? One other thing, is there any negative consequence to running the SWG at 100% for a period of time vs a fraction. It just seems to me that i wouldnt have to run my pumps as long, less electricity and less wear

13000 gallon pool, SWG, DE Filter, 2 sheer descent waterfalls, built Jan 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Amount of chlorine gereration from SWG

You need to know the specific model number of the SWG (cell size) to calculate the chlorine output.

It makes no difference if you run the SWG at 25% or at 100% for 1/4 the amount of time. You are correct that you will save money on electricity by running the pump less and the SWG at a higher % ... but the "wear" on the SWG is the same either way.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409929907.556912.jpg

Attached is photo of the model number Please be aware I'm not looking for exact numbers but just some correlation as to if I was just adding bleach instead. I love the SWG system and just wondered how it compared.

4. Back To Top    #4

That cell can put out 1.25 lbs. or 20 oz. of chlorine a day which is equal to 20 ppm of chlorine in your 7,500 gallon pool. It would be equivalent to 228 oz. of 8.25% bleach. You can use PoolMath to calculate everything you want, see my signature.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually about 15000 gal pool but thanks so much on this info. So almost a gallon of bleach every 12 hours. That's a lot of bleach😃. Glad it's doing its job!

6. Back To Top    #6

So is the signature shown in the forum not your pool? Could be a glitch from the software change.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah. Looks like I have someone else signature. I'll work at correcting that