Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Question

I have two skimmers in my pool. When I remove the basket from the main skimmer (the one I use to vacuum the pool) I see two pipe openings. When I put my hand down into the lower one I can feel the suction and it looks to be clear. When I put my fingers into the second I feel sand/grit. I've never noticed this before and was wondering if that sand/grit is meant to be there (to filter) or is something that needs to be cleaned out. Thanks.
    IG built in 2005, Vinyl, 18 x 39, 26,000 gallons, SWG Aqua T-Cell 15, timer is on for 12 hours (8 hours of sun day), Hayward Pro-Series sand filter, TF100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Skimmer Question

Quote Originally Posted by honeill14 View Post
    I have two skimmers in my pool. When I remove the basket from the main skimmer (the one I use to vacuum the pool) I see two pipe openings. When I put my hand down into the lower one I can feel the suction and it looks to be clear. When I put my fingers into the second I feel sand/grit. I've never noticed this before and was wondering if that sand/grit is meant to be there (to filter) or is something that needs to be cleaned out. Thanks.
    The second is likely capped off underground. Many skimmers are built with two ports, so they can be run in series of one another. (this isn't optimal, but it's a frequently performed operation). If you're at the last skimmer on the line, or if your skimmers are all independent of one another you'll have a bit of grit and crud in that other hole.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

A lot of pools run the main drain from that second port too.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

My new pool has accumulated sand and grit in that other hole as well in each of the 2 skimmers. It is indeed capped since we have separate returns for the main drains. Must say I was confused at first before I realized it was just a useless spare opening that was intentionally capped and then I became just annoyed when I realized it was capped in what I would call a slipshod manner in my case. I would think that a truly pro crew would cap it some better way???
    19' x 37' Freeform IG; 25,500 gallons; max depth 8'6" with diving board; sun bench and swim out shelf. PebbleSheen Blue Granite Finish; Noble Tile--NVSA616 Peacock; Sandstone Retaining Wall; Oklahoma Flagstone Coping, Aggregate Deck; Small Water Feature w/ Moss Rock (70% flats and 30% boulders) Jandy Stealth 2HP Pump and CV460 Filter; AquaCal SQ156 Heat Pump/Chiller; Polaris 380 pressure cleaner w/ Halcyon boost pump.