Weird Algae problem I think. Need Help Quik !!

Joe D

Sep 5, 2014
Waterloo,IL
Last summer I got this stuff in my pool and ended up having to drain it to get it out. And now I'm having it again. Looks just like normal green algae but only on the walls. Reg dose of shock seems to knock it back, but you can't brush the remains off the wall. This stuff turns into concrete. I mean it will cause skin abraisions if you rub the wall to hard. The only thing I found that will even begin to get this stuff off is scotch brite scowering pads, and theres still a remnant on the liner of where it was. I have an above ground pool and I can't keep getting in there every week or so for hours gettin this stuff off the walls. What I need to know is what is this stuff and has anyone else had this issue and found a better fix?

Algae Problem I think ??

If I posted this twice- sorry
Got this stuff that looks like green algae only on the walls. Reg dose of shock knocks it back, but I can't brush off the remains. This stuff turns into concrete. Will cause skin abraisions if you rub aganst it. Only thing I found that will even start to take it off is scotch brite scowering pads. and there's still a bit left. What is this and has anyone else had to deal with this. Above ground pool with liner. Also: I'm close to St Louis if it's a regional thing.
Thanks

Re: Algae Problem I think ??

I am sure the consensus is you need to
Tell us about your pool size, type etc.
Tell us your numbers

PH
FC
CC
TA
CYA, very important
CH even

Read Pool School and about SLAM process to kill TJ algae once and for all

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I agree with the above. We need a full set of test results and details about your pool will be helpful.

My guess ... multiple problems. The algae is due to your chlorine (FC) level being too low for your stabilizer (CYA) level. The sandpaper is likely calcium scaling due to a high calcium (CH) level coupled with high TA and pH.

OK 21 ft round above ground. with a pentair sand filter and 3/4 horse pump. Thing is, I've had this pool for years and never came across anything like this. Only seems to show up after a rain now that I think about it and It's something new. Never had to deal much with the water ph hardness. Never had a problem till now. All Ive had to do was keep the FC at a decent level and shock about every week or so. Never had any problem till now. I guess I could have it tested though? Check back later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.