new pool user - stuck with tree and leaves - gets cloudy every time i leave town

Please let me know if this is the wrong place for a forum entry of this type.

We have a hand-me-down above-ground pool. Size 24' round x 52". New vynil liner and had it all assembled in early June. The neighbor's tree hangs over head. I have trimmed it as much as I dare but there are always a few leaves in there every morning. I try to keep on top of it but if the leaves stay in there overnight it starts to turn on me.

We had no trouble starting it up and no trouble keeping it clean. Except for when we leave town. We left town for a week in July and over the Labor Day weekend. Upon returning from both trips we have found cloudy white water and no free chlorine.

I've seen advice of all types from shocking weekly to never shocking unless you have trouble. I'm a little worried that the pool has driven off a cliff.

Yesterday, my readings were: FC 0, CYA 60ppm, TA 50, pH 7. Per the advice from the pool store lady we added 2 lbs of baking soda and two gallons of shock. We use the gallon bottles of 10% shock which I guess is basically slightly overpriced bleach.

Here are my readings tonight:

fcl 0
alk 80
ph 6.2
cya 0.

Still too cloudy to see the bottom of the ladder and I've been running the pump all day and all night.

I would like to submit my humble and dysfunctional pool into your capable hands if you are willing to help. Please be gentle - I am a noob.

Thank you,
Bruce

Hi, welcome to TFP! First where did you get the test results from? I'm sorry but there is no way both sets of results are accurate. CYA does not just go away overnight. We can help you get your pool back on track, but you will need accurate test results. We recommend the TF100 . It will measure the high levels of chlorine you will need to complete the slam process.

In order to understand the basics of pool chemistry read, ABCs of pool water chemistry . Next read SLAM process .

OK, if those results are accurate, here is my analysis:

Your FC at 0 is way below where it should be. You typically have to add chlorine every day unless you have a salt system.
pH of 6.2 is another huge problem. You need to add Borax (20 mule team) to get your pH up to around 7.5.
CYA is way too low. You need to initially shoot for a CYA of 30, then edge it up just slightly from there. BUT - Something is seriously wrong if you went from 60 to 0 overnight. Testing is the problem. Pool stores almost never get CYA testing right.

Your pump and filter are not the solution for this issue.

Pool School is your assignment for tonight and tomorrow:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

As stated before, you are going to need to be able to take control of the testing on your own and kick the pool store to the curb. But we can help you through this process, just stick with it!

It's not really the leaves. Your chlorine level is way too low.

Buy a recommended test kit. Post the results. In the mean time, get your Ph to 7.2-7.5. Buy a bunch of bleach. Read up on how to SLAM in pool school. Until you know your true CYA level, you won't know what level to bring the chlorine up to. But I can tell you for sure you're CYA didn't just go from 60 to 0. The only way to lower it is to drain the pool.

Do not waste money on the Leslie's test kit- it doesn't have have the proper chlorine test to give you readings above 10ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.