Please let me know if this is the wrong place for a forum entry of this type.
We have a hand-me-down above-ground pool. Size 24' round x 52". New vynil liner and had it all assembled in early June. The neighbor's tree hangs over head. I have trimmed it as much as I dare but there are always a few leaves in there every morning. I try to keep on top of it but if the leaves stay in there overnight it starts to turn on me.
We had no trouble starting it up and no trouble keeping it clean. Except for when we leave town. We left town for a week in July and over the Labor Day weekend. Upon returning from both trips we have found cloudy white water and no free chlorine.
I've seen advice of all types from shocking weekly to never shocking unless you have trouble. I'm a little worried that the pool has driven off a cliff.
Yesterday, my readings were: FC 0, CYA 60ppm, TA 50, pH 7. Per the advice from the pool store lady we added 2 lbs of baking soda and two gallons of shock. We use the gallon bottles of 10% shock which I guess is basically slightly overpriced bleach.
Here are my readings tonight:
Still too cloudy to see the bottom of the ladder and I've been running the pump all day and all night.
I would like to submit my humble and dysfunctional pool into your capable hands if you are willing to help. Please be gentle - I am a noob.