Closing Pool up for winter using the BBB method

rcroller4711

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
What is the procedure for closing the pool using the BBB method? This is my first year using the BBB method, what a great summer, so I'm new to closing this way. Also since using the BBB method I don't want to clean out my filter's sand. I'd rather reuse it next summer. So..... do I just drain the water out of the filter and store as is then? If not what's your tip? Man, I love this BBB. The cleanest, the sweetest and the easiest cleaning I have ever experienced.

I have closed early and I have closed late. The last 2 years I've closed early and just closed today. I SLAM to 20ppm, drain and cover. If you want to use Polyquat 60, go for it but you don't have to. Just open before May and you're golden. You should have no problems. I never have.

I am closing earlier than the previous 2 years, because I believe without a heater the swimming season is gone and I don't want to be cold doing it. I brushed, vacuumed and covered with winter cover but will continue circulation and water tests until the water drops 10 more degrees. Then I will bring chlorine to shock level and drain hoses and pool water to below skimmer. I didn't want to keep scooping leaves out, it was depressing. The last few days in the pool...that was my entertainment. Scooping with a butterfly net as they fell....Last two years I did everything in the same day after water was below 60...It was not fun...I did not have the deck last year. Thank you all for helping learn this process...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.