Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Came home to this

1. Back To Top    #1

Came home to this

I noticed the pool was a looking funny yesterday didn't have time to test it so when I came home today I noticed water dripping near the SWG. Closer I got I smelled something, well pictures show you what I found. I've called the insurance company. So I need some recommendations for a new SWG. I'm wondering if lighting caused it, we had a pretty good storm Tuesday night. Anyone else seen these happen before with a Compupool system?
    16 x 32 18,000 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, Compupool SWG, 1.0HP Pentair pump, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Came home to this

Unfortunately that's not the first one of those we've seen posted here. It seems to be related to the connection working its way loose, then the pins overheat and melt the plastic. I doubt lightning had anything to do with it. If it's under warranty Compupool should take care of it. Otherwise, you should be able to replace the cell and cable and have it working agin.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not under warranty, I've never been very happy with the compupool system to begin with. Thinking now would be a good time to replace the system.
    16 x 32 18,000 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, Compupool SWG, 1.0HP Pentair pump, sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Unless you have automation, the Pentair units only adjust in 20% increments (at least I think this is still true). The Hayward aquarite is, IMO, the simplest and best for a basic system.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a cpsc24 so I watch these threads. It is not an isolated incident. Don't know what your insurance deductible is but filing a claim on a $700 SWG seems silly to me unless you had other damage. Don't know who your company/deductible is but having a claim on your HOI for a few $ is probably not worth it.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
    Unless you have automation, the Pentair units only adjust in 20% increments (at least I think this is still true). The Hayward aquarite is, IMO, the simplest and best for a basic system.
    I just called to see what it was, it's a 1000.00. So I'll just foot the bill.

7. Back To Top    #7

Switch to the dark side...go with a Stenner !!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

8. Back To Top    #8

Keep SWG. CompuPool changed that system not too long after you got yours. But even if you ditch CompuPool, don't give up on SWG. If it weren't for SWGs, I'd fill my pool in with dirt.

Send pics to CompuPool and complain. Maybe they will send you the new system for $500ish. I've seen it happen.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by toofast View Post
    Switch to the dark side...go with a Stenner !!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Keep SWG. CompuPool changed that system not too long after you got yours. But even if you ditch CompuPool, don't give up on SWG. If it weren't for SWGs, I'd fill my pool in with dirt.

Send pics to CompuPool and complain. Maybe they will send you the new system for $500ish. I've seen it happen.
    I have no plans of getting rid of the SWG. Just trying to decide which one I should go with. I've got to do something soon, the pool is trying to go crazy.

11. Back To Top    #11

I called Compupool, and they said the whole system would need to be replace for a price of 500.00. So now do I go back to compupool or spend 300.00 more on a Hayward system. Help please!

12. Back To Top    #12

That's your call, but I'll add my .02.

CompuPool is providing a new system at a nice discounted price so they are not just throwing you under the bus due to a faulty design.

I still don't trust the new CompuPool SWG's as they have very little time on them.

I would buy the Hayward Aquarite.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

If I were in your shoes (and I may be someday), I'd buy the CompuPool. A while back they replaced my system, they don't use that full plug style like you have anymore for just the reason you experienced. My CPSC hooks up like the new ones, three individual wires/plugs, so that if there is a leak, it won't kill the system. Heck for the 48, just the cell is almost $500.

Oh, and I'd make sure your warranty starts over again, two years full replacement, third year prorated. You don't want to get the unit and have zero warranty - but I don't think they'd do that.

They just offered to replace my power supply/control board for $98 on the third year, so the "prorated" part isn't horribly bad. Before I do that though, I'm going to calibrate it, I think that's all mine needs.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Has anyone had any doing with a Circupool? They are about the same price as the Hayward, 795.00 but offer 7 yr warranty.

15. Back To Top    #15

I was just noticing you have the CPSC24. The CPX24 is only $549 from an online retailer. I was thinking CPSC48 all this time. I don't think they are giving you a very good deal.

http://www.poolnpatio.net/compupool-1/

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    I was just noticing you have the CPSC24. The CPX24 is only $549 from an online retailer. I was thinking CPSC48 all this time. I don't think they are giving you a very good deal.

http://www.poolnpatio.net/compupool-1/
    Compupool didn't even offer me a thing, just told me to google CPX24 and buy one online.

17. Back To Top    #17

I believe that mine is the new plug style but I have had no issues with mine. Other than the fact that I have to seacale it every 2 weeks, probably because my ch is 450.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois