Dialing in pump/filter run time

ScottCh

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2014
Gulfport, MS
Let me apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong forum. I'm attempting to dial in my pump/filter run time in order to get it to the lowest amount of time possible and still turn the water over once a day. The quandary I have is I don't know for sure what pump I have. As near as I can determine it is a Sta-Rite Dura-Glas P2RA5EL. I don't know this for sure, but working with Pentair and looking at the pump flow curve sheets they sent me for the Max-E-Glas/Dura-Glas pumps I think this is what I have. Using figures posted by mas985 on other threads I "think" I have a system head of about 65 feet which would put this pump at about 50GPM. Is there a way to find my flow for sure that doesn't involve buying expensive gauges or is it going to be one of those best guess type scenarios? Below is the information I used to come up with my numbers...

Pump Make/Model: Sta-Rite Dura-Glas (fairly sure) P2RA5EL (best guess based on fact that it is a 1hp motor with a 1.25 SF
Filter Type and backwash valve model if known: Hayward S244T with a Vari-Flo XL Control Valve
Filter PSI reading at the desired valve settings and pump full speed: New gauge reads 16psi on clean sand when in filter position
Optional: Pump suction reading (in-hg) - not necessary but improves accuracy: Would be more than happy to provide this if someone could tell me how
Heater: No
Pool/Spa valve: No

Suction side plumbing system description: 1 run of 1 1/2" pvc. Pump is about 15 feet from the pool, there are 3 90's and a wide mouth skimmer in the run. Pump is about 2 feet below pool water level.
Return side plumbing system description: 1 run of 1 1/2" pvc. Filter return is about even with eyeball, there are 3 90's, a salt cell (funky compu-pool cell), a 1 1/2 x 3/4 tee to feed a rain effect that is currently capped and a 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 tee for fresh water input and a 1" eye

Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Your goal shouldn't be to "turn the water over" once a day and you're going to go crazy trying to dial in the mathematical calculations to do so. Your goal should be to have crystal clear water which doesn't necessarily mean you need to turn the entire pool over. Often the best course of action is to run the pump for 4-6 hours a day to start, preferably 2-3 intervals that are convenient for you, e.g., adding chemicals, primary swim time. Then monitor and increase pump run time if needed. For me I like to run for 2 hours from 6am-8am (I add chemicals during this window) then again from 1pm-3pm (prime swim time is early/mid afternoon so the pool gets a fresh clean and skim before swimming) then finally again from 7pm-9pm for good measure.

Thanks for the reply's. I'll give 4 hours a shot and go from there. Out of curiosity, would there be any chance that the total head in this system would be less than 50 feet? The only reason I ask is if it were less than 50 then there would be a chance that the pump could over run the filter (if I'm reading these pump curves correctly).

Based upon your description above, I get about 61 GPM @ 50' of head. So yes the flow rate is close to the design flow rate but I wouldn't be too concerned. Sand filters are much more robust than other types of filters and can usually handle the higher flow rates. The design flow rate for the filter is 60 GPM (20 GPM/sqft) but usually for sand filters, the max rate would be around 80 GPM (25 GPM/sqft) so you are well below that. Have you had any issues with the filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.