Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pressure gage reads 12

1. Back To Top    #1

My pressure gage reads 12

The pressure is low,usually around 20 plus. I backwash when it get in high 20s-30. I have good water flow, not finding any clogs. Cleaned out baskets. Sometimes I get pine needles in the impeller and I reach in and work them loose.

Everything seems fine except the gauge reads low. I even replaced the gauge. Still reads about 12.

I plan on closing this weekend so I'm hoping to get this fixed.

Thanks
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pressure gage reads 12

Only way for the pressure to be lower than normal is a suction clog or a clogged impeller or a clog between the pump and filter or a bad gauge or something clogging the port to the gauge.

You might want to split the pump and do a better job inspecting the impeller ... would not be the first time pine needles clogged up the pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Only way for the pressure to be lower than normal is a suction clog or a clogged impeller or a clog between the pump and filter or a bad gauge or something clogging the port to the gauge.

You might want to split the pump and do a better job inspecting the impeller ... would not be the first time pine needles clogged up the pump.
    So I did split the pump......it was fine. Few pine needles but no obstruction. Put it back together and still low. Not sure what to do now

- - - Updated - - -

My sand hasn't been changed in over 5-6 years. Could that cause an issue like this?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

4. Back To Top    #4

I do not think anything in the sand would lower the pressure unless it was VERY channeled. Hardly ever a need to replace sand. But a periodic Deep Cleaning of your Sand Filter is a good idea.

What kind of backwash valve do you have?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Multi port.....Haywood sand filter. After cleaning pump n reassemble I'm getting 16, so at least it's a little better. I'm wondering if I should just close this weekend n blow everything out. See what happens next year. What do you think?

6. Back To Top    #6

Depends if your water temp is less than 60 degrees or not.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

It's not but I been having good luck w/ solid cover black backing. Open this year to clear wAter. Old mesh cover it was green.

8. Back To Top    #8

Can a new gauge read a little different than another? +\- few psi? I blew out suction lines today and now I got up to 16, I was at 20 with last gauge.

9. Back To Top    #9

There should not be much variation is the gauges are decent quality.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Strange.....blew out suction lines w/ compressor, no obstruction yet 4 psi low. At a loss at what to do next