Acid Aeration

Jun 12, 2014
Sharpsville, IN
So it seems I need to create a homemade aerator to lower my TA. How do I get the eyeball out of my return to screw homemade contraption in? I'm not mechanically brain equipped so I think I am going to need step by step instructions for this one ...

There should be two threaded sections on the return. You can see it here http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-243-hayward-sp1419-sp1420-sp1421-fitting-parts.aspx

The outer ring unscrews partially to allow the eyeball to be adjusted or fully to allow you to remove the eyeball. The inner piece is a little more difficult to remove. It has a couple of notches inside it to something to grab it and unscrew it from the return. Sometimes when you remove the outer ring, the whole fitting comes out.

Here is the commercial tool for removing the inner ring http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1419T-Hydrosweep-Hydrostream-Directional/dp/B003VSO1PI

So that's how you move the eye ball! If I just loosen that fitting and aim the eyes towards the top of the water is that enough aeration to bring my TA down you think? Or does the water need to be catching oxygen and then hitting the water again for it to aerate properly?

- - - Updated - - -

This looks like something I would need. Unless someone told me exact parts to get to make it myself. haha. Thank you, I never knew such things existed!

Return eyeballs are typically 1.5" MIP threaded. If you want to go the no-fuss route. Check out this on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Splash-A-Roun...d=1409848425&sr=8-12&keywords=pool+return+jet

I have not tried it, but it looks like it would do the job.

Otherwise you could have a look at that design and copy with PVC.

This thread has a simple one that would work too. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/7457-My-aerator

@lynzizzle

I think your biggest issue is really the high TA of your fill water. In your previous post you measured at TA of 580ppm which is quite high. So every time your fill water hits the pool, you're adding back an enormous amount of alkalinity.

There are no hard and fast numbers on how acid-aeration affects TA. But in order to do it properly, you're going to need a lot of acid since you'll need to get your pH down to 7.0-7.2 before aeration. It's going to take a lot of patient work to reduce the TA by any significant amount.

Constructing a water cooler/aerator is a great first step. You might want to consider using a shower hear or fountain to do the aeration as breaking up the water into small droplets and letting it splash down onto the water surface will have the greatest impact on releasing the dissolved CO2 in the water. Just pointing an eyeball return upwards will do very little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it seems I need to create a homemade aerator to lower my TA. How do I get the eyeball out of my return to screw homemade contraption in? I'm not mechanically brain equipped so I think I am going to need step by step instructions for this one ...
You don't have to use an aerator. It just speeds things up. The PH will usually rise on it's own, albeit slowly, with just normal pool activity.

I have very high TA fill water and am constantly fighting high TA and high PH but I don't bother with aeration because it is futile. I just keep PH at the lower end of the range and the CSI slightly negative and TA comes down on it's own and settles in a range around 90-100 ppm.

The outer ring unscrews partially to allow the eyeball to be adjusted or fully to allow you to remove the eyeball. The inner piece is a little more difficult to remove. It has a couple of notches inside it to something to grab it and unscrew it from the return. Sometimes when you remove the outer ring, the whole fitting comes out.

Here is the commercial tool for removing the inner ring http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1419T-Hydrosweep-Hydrostream-Directional/dp/B003VSO1PI

That thing is a joke. I tried to spin one of my fittings out with that (and channel locks on the plastic tool) and all I did was round the plastic tool where it fit in the grooves on the threaded coupler. All of mine are on so tight (from the builder?) that that tool did nothing. I had to have someone come out and basically chizel it out so I could replace the whole eyeball assembly (was a different brand and the eyeball didnt tighten with the coupler that was stuck in the wall.... grr)

I think using a return aerator is a bothersome way to effect aeration. Especially in colder weather, you'll be having lots of fun reaching into that frigid water.

My suggestion is to head over to Harbor Freight or a big box home improvement store and spend $45-$60 on an immersible sump pump. You can set it on any steps going into your pool or drop it to the bottom in the shallow end and plug it into a wall socket. It'll move enormous amounts of water and produce plenty of bubbles. The only additional thing you would need would be a few PVC pipe fittings to screw into the pump's output to point the water spray in whatever direction you want. You'll be able to lift it out of the water when your done without getting wet and it's also useful if you have to drain your pool below your pump intake or if your pump dies someday and you need a temporary way to circulate water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think using a return aerator is a bothersome way to effect aeration. Especially in colder weather, you'll be having lots of fun reaching into that frigid water.

My suggestion is to head over to Harbor Freight or a big box home improvement store and spend $45-$60 on an immersible sump pump. You can set it on any steps going into your pool or drop it to the bottom in the shallow end and plug it into a wall socket. It'll move enormous amounts of water and produce plenty of bubbles. The only additional thing you would need would be a few PVC pipe fittings to screw into the pump's output to point the water spray in whatever direction you want. You'll be able to lift it out of the water when your done without getting wet and it's also useful if you have to drain your pool below your pump intake or if your pump dies someday and you need a temporary way to circulate water.

I always thought it would be quite interesting to hook up a Venturi air line (with an automated shutoff valve) to the main return water line as a way of introducing air bubbles into the return water stream.

That way you could program in aeration into your pool water.

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the downside if hacking up your PVC at the equipment pad to do something like this?

I always thought it would be quite interesting to hook up a Venturi air line (with an automated shutoff valve) to the main return water line as a way of introducing air bubbles into the return water stream.

That way you could program in aeration into your pool water.

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the downside if hacking up your PVC at the equipment pad to do something like this?

Interesting idea. The PVC work to accomplish that would be fairly trivial. I'm guessing most TFP adopters don't need aeration frequently, however when you have 500+ TA fill water like the OP, it may be more attractive.

Interesting idea. The PVC work to accomplish that would be fairly trivial. I'm guessing most TFP adopters don't need aeration frequently, however when you have 500+ TA fill water like the OP, it may be more attractive.

All you'd need to add is one of these and perhaps do it using a bypass loop that can be valved off

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/2009426691.html

Here's a pic of my aerator: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iflrskg5qktoavu/Aerator.jpg?dl=0
about 4-5Ft of 1.5 inch pvc, one T, two end caps, Three male threaded adapters one adjustable union ( the most expensive part of mine) because I want to be able to adjust it. And a little pvc cement. The blue arrows point to most of the glued parts. The red arrow are where its only hand tight and thus adjustable. Drill some 1/4" holes in the horizontal part. Screw it into the fitting you removed the eyeball fitting from. Pretty simple if not just a tad overkill using the adjustable union. That red arrow on the left end should be blue. PM me if you have any questions.

Side discussion moved to To aerate or not to aerate that is the discussion. Zea3

What r u people even talking about? I am so lost.

Hahahahaha....sorry about that. We definitely derailed your simple question ;)

I asked the ModSquad to separate all the posts that @mas985 and I were trading back and forth. That'll clean up the timeline a bit.

As my dad always preached to me as a kid, "keep it simple, stupid!" Words to live by......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.