Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump not on!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump not on!

Yesterday my pool was working when I tested it. However, for the past month or so I have been feeling that the circulation has seemed a bit low. I even cleaned the cartridges bc I thought they may have been dirty therefore slowing the circulation. (Perhaps just bc I was wondering what I would need to replace/pay for next!)

Today when I went outside the pool looked as if it was off - low water in spa, no spillover and no suction in skimmers. Pool has electricity bc my waterfall turned on when I pressed the button. I flipped the breaker switch just to see if perhaps it tripped. When I turned it back on I heard the pump make a noise for about 1 second then nothing.

My pump is a one-speed Hayward. It's about 8 years old.

I read the thread "My pump won't start - I'm panicking!" but could use a few next steps for the not-so-handy prior to me calling the pool guy.

Next steps?
    HoltPool
    21K gal SWG gunite pool/spa/waterfall, Goldline ProLogic controls, 2 2.0 HP Hayward Northstar pumps, hayward heater, 4 cartridge, Polaris 9300 sport robot, TFP-100 test kit owner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump not on!

Check for a reset button on the motor.
    If none, call pool guy. Electricity is best left to those that are trained and have experience with it. Think of electricity as an alligator waiting for you to stick your finger in the wrong spot.....
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

3. Back To Top    #3

I just went out this morning and tried to turn it on. The pump made a humming noise for 5-6 seconds then never turned on.

Do not think that it is electrical as everything else is working.

Any thoughts?
    HoltPool
    21K gal SWG gunite pool/spa/waterfall, Goldline ProLogic controls, 2 2.0 HP Hayward Northstar pumps, hayward heater, 4 cartridge, Polaris 9300 sport robot, TFP-100 test kit owner

4. Back To Top    #4

Start capacitor. $25 fix. If you do a you tube search it comes up.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

First things first-- make sure the pump shaft turns freely. You may have to use a screw driver or hex key to check that. If it does then test the capacitor. There's a you tube video how to do that. Make sure you remove power at the circuit breaker. The video shows you should remove the capacitor, but if you disconnect the wires then short it out. You can do it while still on the pump. You will need an analog multimeter (they're not very expensive)- a digital won't work. My capacitor replacement early spring cost me about $18 at a local electtical supply store. When I checked it a month ago when I had pump problems, it was good so I ended up replacing the whole pump. I could have just replaced the motor, but the seal plate had cracks in it so it wasn't going to be cost effective. But checking the capacitor is easy. I had called a pool repair guy first. But the first thing that came out of his mouth was replace the motor. My pump lasted another 5 months, so it was worth it.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Before I do anything else, I just went out and touched the motor while the filter was set to run. It is HOT! I shut down the system completely.

Does this mean that the motor has seized and therefore is completely shot?

If so, do I need an entire new pump or just a motor? How does this work? It is one piece or not? ]

Any other fixing advice before I call the pool guy?
    HoltPool

7. Back To Top    #7

You can replace the motor and save some money. If the shaft turns easily you may want to try replacing the capacitor.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

How do I test to see if the motor shaft turns easily? I think that capacitor is at the back end of the pump but the propeller is closer to the big plastic part of the pump?

Any videos or instructions on how to test if the shafts turns easily?
    HoltPool

9. Back To Top    #9

Go to the end away from the pump basket. There should be a cap that comes off, exposing the end of the shaft. It should be slotted, and you can use a screwdriver to turn it.

Do all of this with the breaker off.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

Try this: https://www.google.com/search?q=you+...pump+capicator

or this one directly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=472XLJzaq2Q

It's pretty straight forward.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok. I checked the impeller by pulling the motor away from the pump. Hayward Northstar pumps don't use screws but instead use a locking collar that you turn. Checked impeller which moves freely. However my husband and I cannot get the collar back on. Basically the motor is still about 1/4 inch away from pump so can't get collar on to turn.

Anyone have any experience with this or know the trick to get it back on properly?
    HoltPool

12. Back To Top    #12

It was the capacitor. Had to call the pool people to get the motor back on the wet end. We did everything right except needed a lot more lube to go on the big o-ring and even some lube on the motor's plastic casing that slides into the wet part. Now we know.
    HoltPool