What I learned today....

eqbob

Jul 25, 2012
Central Texas
Well, Pentair came to my pool today to examine the plaster issue and the 'stuff' aggregating in the pool. As I came to beleive from reading the referenced articles in my plaster thread, they also believe the nodules to be nothing more than a calcification from a few voids behind some cracks. Method of repairing the cracks with draining, cutting out plaster section, replastering, etc., and the resultant permanent color changes sounds like a worse solution than the problem.

Aggregated 'stuff' is unknown. They suspect DE but without doing a chemical analysis, hard to tell. Was instructed to tear down the filter and clean it thoroughly and inspect each and every part for any tears, holes, loss of pliability in the screens, etc. At the same time, since system would be off, check salt cell for any build-up on electrodes.

Did all of that and besides it being horrifically caked with DE, found nothing. No holes, no tears, no problems. So reassembled everything and now waiting for the auto fill to finish bringing it up to a level so that I can start the skimmers without cavitating the pump. Then I can add in DE. Was also advised to use less DE than what's been done in the past.

So what I learned on the fly was the complete filter disassembly and cleaning and reassembly. Previously, a pool service had done that. Really not that daunting of a task once you do it once.

So what I learned on the fly was the complete filter disassembly and cleaning and reassembly. Previously, a pool service had done that. Really not that daunting of a task once you do it once.
As most pool services use poorly trained kids it usually isn't that hard.

Sorry they didn't have better solutions for your issues.

Now,you know you can take control of the pool.

I was happy with pentair and what they had to say and the fact that they came out. I don't think they come to many end customer pools. Happy I learned all the filter stuff. Feel much more confident on overall equipment upkeep. Next thing to tackle is learning winter procedures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.