Pool Light

boston62

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
Pool Size
Is it possible to get rust in the pool light, I am asking because I see a brown spot on the bottom of the light inside. It is the whole bottom of the light, about a half an inch wide. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have a an older SAM color wheel light and after time they leak water from where the electrical cord goes into the housing. I need a new light next year. I had someone try to fix it this year but the ground fault started tripping after a week so I just shut off the breaker for the rest of the summer. They indicated that with my older AquaLink RS8 I would need a new control board if I wanted a LED color light. I probably will just go with a halogen type, I think they are brighter anyways.

My system is about 12 years old and that's what the pool company I use for repairs told me. He said the LED's have a separate circuit to change the colors which the older RS8 boards don't have. I have not researched to verify. If that is the case I won't be paying 500 bucks for a new board and will go with the halagn bulbs.

There's no water in it now, it does work, will order a new gasket. Why change the bulb if it still working?

If there's no water in it and the bulb is working, why change anything?

My experience was pull out the light, replace bulb, use old gasket, it leaked.
Buy new gasket, still leaked. Retried w/ goop all around gasket, still leaked.
Trustworthy pool guy tried same and with a second new gasket, still leaked.
Bought a whole new sealed fixture and had it installed - no leaks.

If I was as lucky as you are now, I'd leave well enough alone.

YMMV. Good luck!

Yes you are correct, I did remove it to see why there was a brown water mark on the bottom of the lense, when I opened it, some water came out, I took it apart, cleaned everything, reinstalled the gasket, submerged it, and it was water tight...I will keep an eye on it. I did order new gasket & pilot screw just case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.