Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH Test for Metal Testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Florida

CH Test for Metal Testing

I just saw this video online, Video and it says you can use the CH test to get an idea of there is metal is the water. A blue color means less metal than a purple color. How true is this?
    16K gallon in ground plaster pool
    Hayward star clear plus c1202 Cartridge filter
    4 speed Pentair Intelliflo Pump
    TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: CH Test for Metal Testing

It's true with regard to the fading endpoint where the change in color will revert back, but I didn't know it would also affect the color. Though that may be true, it's not quantitative since it doesn't tell you the quantity of metals nor their type (i.e. iron vs. copper).

That video also shows CuLator working though it's not clear that the other products (sequestrant) may also be affecting the test results and we've had very mixed results with CuLator being reported.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"