Adding bleach to Hot tub

nofa93

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 22, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Hi,

Pool owner here practicing TFPC method for the last two seasons. I have just recently purchased a used stand alone hot tub(firs time with a hot tub, no experience). Currently in the process of setting it up. I wish to use chlorine rather than bromine as my sanitizing method. What is your approach to administering bleach(once you reach desired CYA level with dichlor) to the tub without a mess/splash-out? Do you guys transfer the amount required from the bleach bottle into a measuring cup or do eyeball the amount and dump directly from the jug? What seems to work better? I understand this might be a stupid question but I'd like to understand how you guys do it to make it trouble free as possible. Thanks again.

Measuring cup if I'm feeling the need to be precise, although some times I just give it a loose estimate from the jug. When I add bleach to pool or spa directly from the jug, I lower the bottle into the water just far enough so that the opening is still above the water. Then I tilt and add as close to the water as possible. Zero splash. Measuring cup the same way, close to the surface.

With a used tub, I'd give it a deep cleaning with a spa treatment product. I highly recommend the Ahh-Some product. Produced some great results cleaning out my spa. My Ahh-Some Treatment Thread

Greats. thanks for sharing your experience. I can't wait to get the tub going! Concerning your comment about the Ahh-Some treatment. The tub was drained 1 week ago and prior to the drain the water seemed extremely clean and well maintain by the owners. Should I still consider doing the treatment, is it worth it at this time?

The product is about $20. You'll likely need to order online, so maybe shipping too. Even then, I'd say it's worth it. It may have looked clean but you never really know. Even from the factory, spas can have grease/biofilms in them. They are pressure tested after finished then left to sit only mostly drained for weeks/months. On a brand new spa, I'd do it too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.