Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter pool cover suggestions for In ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter pool cover suggestions for In ground pool

I am looking for some suggestions regarding my in ground pool and a winter cover. I just installed my pool and concrete this spring, I have been reviewing covers and see a lot of them where you are suppose to drill into the concrete. I am not sure if I am open to the idea of drilling 40 little holes into my new concrete. Any other suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter pool cover suggestions for In ground pool

More info: Pool is 18 x 30 with steps on end.

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, you have two main options: a safety cover (which requires drilling holes), and a tarp-style cover with weights holding it down. the tarps are cheaper but uglier and more difficult to install/uninstall and keep clean.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Drill the holes. You close your pool in the fall and don't think about it until spring except to drain water once or twice. The waterbag covers are a pain.

The safety cover is flat and leaves blow off. The waterbag covers are at the water level, so the leaves accumulate.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Drill the holes. You won't notice them with the brass pins screwed in, they weather to nice dark patina.

45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Agreed, drill the holes. However, in IL your cover won't be flat much of the winter because it will have snow on it which will cause it to be resting on the water surface (and possibly to freeze to the water surface). So make sure the water surface isn't lowered below the cover manufacturer's recommendation. I think ours says 18" below the deck level, and it must be below the skimmer level, so you have a window where the water level should ideally reside. Ours is a Merlin Smart Mesh which I'm very pleased with. I'm sure the leading manufacturers of the covers are equally good products as well. You can see page 6 of our build thread in my signature for some discussion of the installation and winter procedures with pictures.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I meant to say it must be below the tile level to reduce chances of popping tiles off.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

We have an auto cover but still also have a separate winter cover with the concrete inserts. We open the auto cover before putting the winter cover on and the pool is drained about 30%. The cover allows water to flow thru into the pool during the course of the winters snow and other rain and has springs from the cover to the inserts to compensate for the weight. Sometimes in early spring I may have to drain some extra water from the pool from all the water that has collected during the winter. When I see the jugs in the skimmers float popping the skimmer covers that's when I know when to drain. I just put a garden house through the skimmer and start a syphon and let it run a day or so. I have the same type of winter cover as Zimm has ^^^^. Also the pins screw in flush to the concrete when you take off the winter cover.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Depending on your pool you don't have to drain any water to winterize. All of our vinyl lined and fiberglass pools we leave full with either aquadoor lids or skimmer plugs. Now our gunite customers we do drain below the skimmers. If it was mine I would get a solid cover with no mesh drains.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics