Hi all -- I have a pool that seems to be continuously overchlorinated, and I'd love some thoughts/ideas on how this could be happening. Note - I do not do chemicals myself, but use a maintenance company.
Maintenance company #1 did our chemicals for a month and a half. On a whim (well, I was feeling itchy), I decided to test the water. Both strips and Taylor tests showed chlorine levels at well over 10ppm (Taylor showed it at 15ppm, days after service).
After firing company #1, we hired company #2 and told them our concerns, and requested chlorine levels always be kept LOW. We had them for about a month, and this week I decided to check chlorine levels to see how they were doing. The pool had normal levels of everything *except* chlorine, which was at 11ppm. The maintenance company came to take a water sample and confirmed these crazy chlorine levels with internal testing.
Company #2 seemed mystified as to how this could be. Their only explanation is that perhaps our chlorine feeder is set too high. Or that the tabs used are "burning off" more readily than tabs they are used to.
Any views/thoughts from the experts on this forum?
Chlorine tabs being used are the same for both companies: Eastern Leisure 3" Giant Chlorinating Tablets, purchased at the beginning of the season.