High PH

Hello all -

Hope to get some advice here.

Heres the last several weeks . . . I was on vacation for three weeks and came home to some brown mold (brown-yellowish dots on the upper sides of the pool - cc 0.5). Killed the brown mold with high shock for 3-4 days, 24hr running of the pump (Bleach +15ppm @ CYA 40). Checked all the other numbers and everything fine. I have been back from vacation last two weeks and have had no time to really keep an eye on the pool except to keep the chlorine level between 3-5ppm with bleach (I add one jug every 2-3 dyas). Last time I checked the PH it was high (~1 week ago) and I lowered it to about 7.2 with acid (checked this with test kit aftwerward). So yesterday, I saw some small patchs of the brown mold and I checked the FC and it was less then 1ppm and the PH was off the scale (8.2+). I added in muriatic acid (enough to bring it down to around 7.6 and I added in 6 jugs of Bleach (15ppm). So here are my numbers as of this am

FC - 15ppm
CC - >0.5
PH- >8.2 (This seems to high!!!! As I just added muriatic acid yesterday @ 2 liters)
ALK - 90
CAL - 200
CYA - 30-40
SALT - 3300

I have IG cement pool with SWG (30K).

My question is will the high chlorine be giving me a false PH reading?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Jaypea

When shocking your pool you will get false PH readings (on the high side). You should wait until your algae is gone and your FC lowers to below 10 ppm to test your PH. If your PH was 7.2 before you shocked chances are its still ok.

Hi and Welcome to TFP~ :wave:

Looks like you should also raise your CYA if you're running a SWG. Like to 70-80.

Welcome, again :wink:

Along with other fantastic information, our Pool School has an article on Water Balance for SWG's.

There is a link to Pool School at the top of each page in the sub-heading and a link in my sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.