Heating water using Waste setting?

Jun 10, 2013
Bumpass, Virginia
I was just sitting here thinking of how I could heat up my pool water in addition to our solar cover. I was thinking of attaching 1.5" black, flexible, PVC, coiled hose to my backwash port on my sand filter, running the coiled hose to a sunny location, then back into the pool using the Waste setting on my multi-port sand filter. This way I would be using an existing setup and wouldn't have to build anything special (my husband, I mean :lol:) The pool water would simply be circulating through the black hose, heating up and put back in the pool instead of over the hill, right?? My husband won't get in the pool unless the water is 85* or above and he's missed out on a lot of swimming this summer because of the cool temperatures. I'm just trying to figure out something without spending "more money" on the pool! ;)

If you guys think this will work, how much hose should I start with since my pump is 1.5 hp? 50' of hose probably wouldn't have enough time to heat up, would it?

Also, I was thinking that if he put a Y and a valve at the backwash port, we could use two separate hoses for this. That way, I'm not putting dirty water back into the pool. Will it work? Come on guys, tell me it'll work! Please!! :snorkle:

Donna

Solar heating is all about exposure to the sun and is best done by heating a lot of water by a few degrees and not heating a small amount of water by many degrees. It is not economical to try to DIY a setup when the solar panels have become so cheap.

You also can not run all the water flow through a single garden hose ... your pump is not going to like being that restricted and the flow rate will drop. You would need to have many hoses plumbed in parallel and that will quickly cost as much as buying a few cheap solar panels off Ebay.

I am not sure I understand your description of a Y on the backwash port to keep the water clean? If you are running in waste mode, nothing is going to be filtered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.