Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dirt in my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

dirt in my pool

I always have more then a few areas where there is dirt on the bottom of my pool. I touch it and it feels grainy like sand. I dont know if it is dead algae or dirt/sand but like i said it feels grainy when i touch it. I bought the expensive sand/dirt bag to attach to my vacuum but still the same results. I cant even say for sure that the sand/dirt bag even helped. How do i keep it all the way clean.
    26k gallons IG painted Plaster
    Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter model ST1152 1.5V 1A
    A. O. Smith Pump 2.2HP 3450RPM (runs 5hrs/day)
    Vacuum model BY06-09 3/4HP 3450RPM (runs 2hrs/day)
    Manteca, Ca.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dirt in my pool

I get a lot of dirt/sand that gets into the pool when it rains due to incomplete landscaping around the pool.

You either have to figure out where the sand is coming from and stop the source, or run your cleaner more to remove it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

i have always had this dirt in my pool since i moved in last year...my pool is surrounded by concrete and grass there is no source for new dirt. i added an extra hour to my pump and vacuum when i added the dirt/sand filter bag and no improvement
    26k gallons IG painted Plaster
    Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter model ST1152 1.5V 1A
    A. O. Smith Pump 2.2HP 3450RPM (runs 5hrs/day)
    Vacuum model BY06-09 3/4HP 3450RPM (runs 2hrs/day)
    Manteca, Ca.

4. Back To Top    #4

Could it be the cartridge? I only say because this year I had an issue with dirt that kept coming back also. The cartridges I had were 2 or 3 seasons old. I finally gave up assuming I had a rip somewhere in the cartridge and purchased a new one. As soon as I put the new one on I figured out the problem. The old cartridge was not making a tight seal inside the filter. Dirt was able to pass right around the filter. I could feel the new one was snug as I set it down into the filter housing, where the old one was not at all.
    27' above ground pool, cartridge filter, 2 speed 2HP Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have stone work around the pool? My dust is usually from the rock.
    28,000 IG, gunite, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG with SPA,
    Intellichlor/VS Pentair
    Norman, OK

6. Back To Top    #6

I have dirt that gets in my pool around the lines in the bottom of the deep end. I used to run my Polaris, but all it did was stir it up. It was too fine to be caught in the Polaris bag. I've started just vacuuming it once a week, which I hate doing, and that keeps it clean for several days. I don't know if it's just the wind blowing dirt in or what. It looks gritty like sand, and I thought my sand filter was broken at first, but it is too fine to grab usually. It puffs up when you try to grab any of it.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100