TAMPA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just curious from you experts out there. I've had one of my 4 hayward GVA-24 fail. The motor is perfectly fine but the gears (2 of the three gears) are stripped to some extent. The valve will still sort of turn but not really. :)

Anyway, In my googling I've seen lots of instances of failures due to gears stripping either on the actuator motor itself or the actual gears (my case). Does anyone know where one can find replacement parts for these things? or used units we can purchase for their parts? It's a shame to have to replace these expensive units for a set of easily replaceable gears. etc..... I tried the normal spots like 'ebay' and I even asked Hayward (I'm expecting a NO from them).

Thanks everyone. Glad to be a new member. I've used this site for 2 years since I've installed my pool and it has been far better than any information my pool company gave me. THanks again.

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have dimensions, shaft size and tooth count for the gears? Someone may know a non-pool equipment source for replacements.

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have dimensions, shaft size and tooth count for the gears? Someone may know a non-pool equipment source for replacements.

Thanks for replying John. I do not have the dimensions. I can measure them but I am thinking it would be quite a bit of measurements as these seem very custom gears built for these controllers. I'd prefer to stay away from obtaining gears unless they were made for this application otherwise I might end up paying for gears that were just slightly under/oversized... It's a shame that Hayward stopped selling these parts. They used to sell them but of course why would they want people fixing their products when we can buy new ones. ;) (If I end up replacing it, i'll buy a cheaper brand anyway).

Thanks for replying John. I do not have the dimensions. I can measure them but I am thinking it would be quite a bit of measurements as these seem very custom gears built for these controllers. I'd prefer to stay away from obtaining gears unless they were made for this application otherwise I might end up paying for gears that were just slightly under/oversized... It's a shame that Hayward stopped selling these parts. They used to sell them but of course why would they want people fixing their products when we can buy new ones. ;) (If I end up replacing it, i'll buy a cheaper brand anyway).

I'd be surprised if Hayward custom produced the gears. There are manufacturers who make standardized parts, and it's usually cheaper to design around those parts if you can. Here is an example of one company http://www.qtcgears.com/rfq/spurgears.htm

I'd be surprised if Hayward custom produced the gears. There are manufacturers who make standardized parts, and it's usually cheaper to design around those parts if you can. Here is an example of one company http://www.qtcgears.com/rfq/spurgears.htm

That is an interesting site. I'll measure mine and see if any line up. If I do find some on that particular site (or similar site) i'll post here for others.

I've done a little research here but frankly finding a gear to fit would be an exercise in futility. There are too many measurements and too many types of gears. I'll likely just try to find a used actuator with a burned out motor that I can swap the gears on unless someone comes forward with information on replacement parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.