Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward thru the wall wide mouth skimmer installed on Intex Ultra Frame Rectangle poo

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward thru the wall wide mouth skimmer installed on Intex Ultra Frame Rectangle poo

Just wanted to share our thru the wall skimmer install. We had minimal water loss and didn't lower the level for the install. We had two people, one in the pool and one outside of the pool. We split the butterfly gasket in half with a razor blade. The inside person used an awl to puncture through the wall of the pool and then pushed the screws through the faceplate, gasket and into the holes. The outside person then held the already assembled skimmer in place while the inside person tighted all of the screws. Once we had averything tightened up, we attached the Intex hose to the PVC added to the skimmer. It was at this point that we used a razor blade to make the final cut and removed the piece of liner inside the mouth of the faceplate. No leaks and it seems to be working great. So glad we did this.

12x24x52 Rectangle Intex Ultra Frame AGP with 1,600 gal. per hour Krystal clear sand filter and saltwater system combo pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward thru the wall wide mouth skimmer installed on Intex Ultra Frame Rectangle

Always nice to hear it go smoothly. I just received my skimmer today so my install should be soon.
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward thru the wall wide mouth skimmer installed on Intex Ultra Frame Rectangle

Just came home my floating skimmer had come loose and my pump was sucking air for who knows how long. Ordering this today:

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1091...dp/B002KMIK26/
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdtucson View Post
    Just came home my floating skimmer had come loose and my pump was sucking air for who knows how long. Ordering this today:

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1091...dp/B002KMIK26/
    This is the exact one I ordered. It installed so easily.
    12x24x52 Rectangle Intex Ultra Frame AGP with 1,600 gal. per hour Krystal clear sand filter and saltwater system combo pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

We were afraid of pushing the screws too hard thru the liner and causing a split so we put pressure and kind of screwed them into the liner. It looked very odd from the outside seeing those 14 screws with water dribbling around them but they stopped the water enough to finish the work. I then hung the outside gasket on the screws and we backed the screws back out so they were just barely hanging on and then pushed the skimmer against the pool while my husband screwed the screws into the skimmer. Even though we started with the faceplate flush up against the white part of the liner, it pulled down a bit when all was said and done. We can still see the line sandwiched between the outside piece and inside piece so I think it's all good. Time will tell.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi just wondering if once you installed you wide mouth skimmer did your skimmer stand straight up and down? Ours is having a lean to it... The wall of pool which is exactly where yours is installed is straight looking at it from the side! Very frustrated at this point. Can you be of any assistance with this matter?

Thanks, Kim

- - - Updated - - -

By the way we have changed pools from 26x52 to the 12x24x52...
    I need to change this info on profile.

Kim
    AG 12x24x52 Intex Ultra fram Vinyl, 8405 gallons, Intex 1600 GPH Sand filter, Intex SWG, Hard piped W/ pvc, Hydro Pro wide mouth skimmer, Intex magnetized lights x2. Setting up in August, 2016! Mississippi Gulfcoast, Ocean Springs, MS. - Kpierron

7. Back To Top    #7

Due to the shape of the liner, the skimmer will sit at an angle. That is OK, it doesn't affect the performance of the skimmer as long as you make sure there is enough water in the pool. I keep the water level at 2/3 up the skimmer at all times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

8. Back To Top    #8

I have my skimmer plumbed in parallell with the original outlet. That way there is no risk of the pump sucking air if the water level gets too low.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

Mickelin....you're really high with the skimmer. Any trouble with leaks? Sorry to horn in on your thread, trailbuddy69..
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kpierron View Post
    Hi just wondering if once you installed you wide mouth skimmer did your skimmer stand straight up and down? Ours is having a lean to it... The wall of pool which is exactly where yours is installed is straight looking at it from the side! Very frustrated at this point. Can you be of any assistance with this matter?

Thanks, Kim

- - - Updated - - -

By the way we have changed pools from 26x52 to the 12x24x52...
    I need to change this info on profile.

Kim
    Glad I read that last bit, you might want to update your signature. Yes, since the wall of the rectangular pool is not vertical, the skimmer is at an angle. It's not a problem for skimmer operation, but you do have an inch or so less leeway to let your water level go down since the skimmer tips up as it goes back.
    I also plumbed my skimmer in parallel with the other outlet so if the water gets too low for the skimmer or skimmer gets plugged, it can pull water from the other outlet.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Schnozz View Post
    Mickelin....you're really high with the skimmer. Any trouble with leaks? Sorry to horn in on your thread, trailbuddy69..
    No, works perfectly with no leaks and no waterloss. I totally recommend mounting as high as possible.