Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Did I jump the gun?

1. Back To Top    #1

Did I jump the gun?

Day 6 of startup on my new 19k inground plaster (with quartz aggregate) pool. I have been reading up in this forum and thought I would get my pool all balanced perfectly quickly. Well, I did that, but now I have read some things about plaster startup that make me nervous that I balanced too soon (esp CH). Here are my numbers that I have been getting the past 2 days (I'm testing twice a day right now)

pH 7.6-7.8
    CYA 30
    FC 2-3
    CC 0
    CH 210
    TA 90

I am using trichlor until my CYA gets to about 40-50, then switching to BBB. Did I raise my calcium too early? Or should I just let it roll? Oh, and I'm in the Houston area, so I won't be closing my pool.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Did I jump the gun?

Don't worry about the CH. My fill water had a CH of dbl what yours is...

Use the pool calculator to determine how many pucks it will take to get your CYA to 40...then switch over to Bleach.

If you haven't seen it, check out the CYA/FC chart. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock
    Keep your FC above the min. number for your CYA.

Keep a close eye on the pH. It should try to climb. Of course the pucks will help at least a little at preventing that.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Did I jump the gun?

Just an FYI: your FC should be at least 4 if not 5 or 6 for safe measure Congrats on the new pool!

Quote Originally Posted by PTHaines View Post
    Day 6 of startup on my new 19k inground plaster (with quartz aggregate) pool. I have been reading up in this forum and thought I would get my pool all balanced perfectly quickly. Well, I did that, but now I have read some things about plaster startup that make me nervous that I balanced too soon (esp CH). Here are my numbers that I have been getting the past 2 days (I'm testing twice a day right now)

pH 7.6-7.8
    CYA 30
    FC 2-3
    CC 0
    CH 210
    TA 90

I am using trichlor until my CYA gets to about 40-50, then switching to BBB. Did I raise my calcium too early? Or should I just let it roll? Oh, and I'm in the Houston area, so I won't be closing my pool.

Thanks!
    Lynzizzle

IG, 25k gal (est.), concrete free form, Hayward S-244T 300lb sand filter,
    well water, Pump: AO Smith 3/4 hp, VSpd: Unknown, Pool Age: Unknown
    Welcome to our OOL. Notice there's no "P" in it?