Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Shaft Seal Leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Shaft Seal Leak?

Does this look like it might be a shaft seal leak?

I was looking at the WhisperFlow manual and the replacement of all the o-rings, gaskets looks like it is do-able. Any gotchas? Are the parts fairly easy to get?
    Arizona. 22K Gal, IG, rectangular, plaster. SWCG IntelliChlor IC40. Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5 HP 2 speed
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filters. in-floor. Pool completed April, 2008. K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Shaft Seal Leak?

Shaft seal leaks usually show themselves as a small drip at the bottom of the pump. That' looks more like water is getting past an o-ring.

Yes, you're looking for either direct replacement parts based on a mfr part number, or you can get a "go kit" for your pump. Can't tell you about any gotchas for that pump, never worked on one of those.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

The big question I forgot to ask - will this leak damage the pump and lead to premature failure?
    Arizona. 22K Gal, IG, rectangular, plaster. SWCG IntelliChlor IC40. Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5 HP 2 speed
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filters. in-floor. Pool completed April, 2008. K-2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

I recently replaced the motor and seals on an intelliflow. A "gotcha" is that the female threaded areas on the seal plate are very weak, if you remove the motor inspect them for cracking carefully and replace the seal plate if they are failing. You may be able to get the motor mounted but over time the motor will begin to sag and the impeller will rub on the seal plate causing overheating and motor failure. Thats my lesson learned.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster