Ram Bit Learnings

Apr 18, 2010
I needed to replace a fitting on a Jandy 3-way valve. Didn't want to replace and re-plumb the entire valve so I decided to try the Ram Bit. This bit removed the plastic pipe from inside the Jandy valve leaving fairly clean & ready for another pipe to be glued in place.

Bottom line - good tool, got the job done. But there are a few things that I learned that I thought I would pass along.

DSC_0016.jpg

Here is the 2" Ram Bit. Note the guide bushings on the end of the bit. These fit inside the pipe and guide the bit during cutting. It came with 3 different sizes. Pick the appropriate size.

DSC_0018.jpg

Here's what the cut looks like half way through.

DSC_0019.jpg

The bit got hot. The plastic got a bit melty. Go with a lower RPM and let the bit cool periodically.

DSC_0020.jpg

Here is the Jandy with all the pipe removed. I smoothed this out with some sandpaper.

DSC_0021.jpg

The new fitting in place.

DSC_0022.jpg

It is very important to keep the drill level. I was aware of this but still ended up cutting in a slightly downhill path. So now the plumbing coming out of there is going slightly uphill.

Near the end of the cut the inner pipe broke in a half moon shape and the bit got jammed hard into the valve. With some effort I was finally able to back it out. Then I got the bright idea to free-wheel it and just hold the the bit in the opening with nothing to support the bushing. The best advice I have here is - DON'T DO THAT. Instead of a light finishing touch the bit violently sucked itself into the valve and became REALLY jammed. I did get it out but ended up bending and trashing the blade.

This bit needs to be guided. In the future I will not cut all the pipe out. I will leave like a quarter inch ring of pipe in there. Then use a drum sander bit to sand down the final ring.

Even though I trashed the bit it is still better than buying a new Jandy 3-way and re-plumbing everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Ram Bit Learings

Interesting. I had read about them but not seen them in action.

Just an FYI, which maybe you knew and would not work for you, you can use a fitting one size larger and it would fit over the outside of the valve. Then with a reducer, you could be back to the same original pipe size.

In this case it is a proprietary Pentair IC40 fitting. And space is tight. But maybe I could've use a bigger coupler that would fit the outside of both the Jandy and the fitting?

Not sure if it would fit the outside of the union for the SWG. Certainly would on the valve though. I figured space might be a factor for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.