Help me understand my pool equipment

Aug 3, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hi!

You guys did a fantastic job teaching me how to SLAM my pool. With some hard work, my pool is crystal clear.

But now... I'm confused about the how some of my equipment works, and I'm pretty sure the circulation isn't working like it should.

The Setup
Pool:
kEYTbMUl.jpg

Returns:
WzNSRpJl.jpg

• Return 1 is connected to Pool 1
  • Return 2 is connected to Pool 2
  • Return 3 is connected to Pool 3/4 and all Jets
  • Return 4 is a mystery - Don't know how to turn if on or off
  • Return 5 is connected to the Pool Aerator
Inputs:
ltIVIKOl.jpg

• Input 1 may be connected to the main drain
  • Input 2 is connected to the Skimmer
  • Input 3 is connected to the Weird Skimmer
Weird Skimmer:
DaYRfMll.jpg

• That small hole is always pulling in water, and down into a net to collect debris then to the filter. I have a vac-lock on the other side of the pool for an auto-vac.
Auto Cleaner System:
YrS4N5Ql.jpg

jbFuc0dl.jpg

yGpeTAYl.jpg

• I do not believe any of this stuff works correctly, but it is definitely on because the lights are always lit up when the filter is running.
  • The "Time Clock / Cleaning System" switch doesn't do anything. Or at least I cannot tell what it is doing if I flip it on.
Things I Don't Understand
  1. My filter's pressure gauge is always at a 4. Even before I cleaned it after years of my pool guy not cleaning it, it was at a 4. I thought it wasn't working until I tried to close Return 3 and the pressure shot up to 20 before I stopped closing the return.
  2. The jet that is nearest Pool 1 doesn't push water out of it.
  3. When the filter starts, there's always air bubbles coming out of the bottom pool returns. Mostly out of Pool 3.
  4. All the bottom pool returns and jets seem weak to me.
  5. I think input 1 is connected to the main drain, but even when it's open, and I'm standing next to the main drain, I cannot tell if any water is actually going through it. Should I close it off?
  6. Input 3 is connected to the Weird Skimmer. What is this skimmer for? When I close it off, the main skimmer works better obviously. Should I leave it closed?
  7. Where does Return 4 go?
  8. What is that cleaning system, and what happens if I haven't touched it in almost 4 years?
I understand that this post is large! I apologize, but I don't know how to break up it into smaller parts, because I don't know how it's all connected. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I am a little confused also. You have pool 1-4 labelled, but are these not the return jets? Perhaps better pictures of the white things in the pool will help. You say that return 3 is connected to pool 3/4 and the jets (not sure what this means).

Input 3 (I will no say Suction instead of input) is likely a port to hook up a suction side cleaner. But, they you say you have a vac-lock on the other side? I do not know what that means.

1. Might be normal
2. Again, I do not understand the difference between a pool return and a jet
3. Do you see air in the pump basket? The bubbles could be from a suction side leak. Or that could be from the SWG while it is generating.
4. Still confused.
5. Floor drains are designed to not feel like they have a lot of suction. I would leave it open a little for circulation.
6. Again, I think it is for a suction cleaner.
7. Return 4 has to be the main return as it is where the SWG cell is installed.
8. I assume you mean the Resilience? That is a salt-water generator. And if you have not touched it, it is not likely working.

Hi JBizzle,

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. I know it was a lot.

I am a little confused also. You have pool 1-4 labelled, but are these not the return jets? Perhaps better pictures of the white things in the pool will help.
Bottom Return 4:
j1WHeiul.jpg

You say that return 3 is connected to pool 3/4 and the jets (not sure what this means).
Sorry. I'll refer to Pool 1-4 as bottom returns 1-4. They are not pop-ups, they just shoot water out when the pump is on. I also have 4 eyeball returns which I had called "jets" above. Returns 1-4 are the ball valves that send water to the bottom returns and the eyeball returns.

Ball Valve 3 seems to be connected to bottom returns 3 and 4 and also all 4 eyeball returns. Did that make sense?

Input 3 (I will no say Suction instead of input) is likely a port to hook up a suction side cleaner. But, they you say you have a vac-lock on the other side? I do not know what that means.

Yes, suction 3 is hooked to the "Weird Skimmer" picture. I believe you are right about a suction side cleaner, but I also literally have a vac-lock located on the opposite side of the pool between bottom return 2 and 3. Do I just have many ways to vacuum my pool?
EZvh3s6l.jpg

1. Might be normal
2. Again, I do not understand the difference between a pool return and a jet
3. Do you see air in the pump basket? The bubbles could be from a suction side leak. Or that could be from the SWG while it is generating.
4. Still confused.
5. Floor drains are designed to not feel like they have a lot of suction. I would leave it open a little for circulation.
6. Again, I think it is for a suction cleaner.
7. Return 4 has to be the main return as it is where the SWG cell is installed.
8. I assume you mean the Resilience? That is a salt-water generator. And if you have not touched it, it is not likely working.

1. The low pressure reading is what makes me think the whole system should be pushing more water around. I just don't know what it means to have it never change numbers. I thought as the filter got dirtier, I'd see the number go up. But it doesn't move.
2. I only circled the bottom returns in the picture. I also have 4 eyeball returns along the side of the pool.
3. My pump right now has been running for about 1.5 hours, and there are no air bubbles in the pump basket. There are still air bubbles coming out of bottom return 4.
4. I feel like all 4 bottom returns and all 4 eyeball returns should be pushing more water. In fact, one of the eyeball returns doesn't push any water out of it.
5. I will leave the 3-way valve for suctions 1 and 2 open. I have no way of knowing of suction 1 is actually for the main drain.
6. It's connected to the weird skimmer. I just checked, and I could use the vac-lock adapter I have to fit in the hole of the "weird skimmer" so you are probably right about it being a suction cleaner. I've been just sticking the tube of my manual vacuum into the bottom hole of the main skimmer. But!! I also have a vac-lock on the other side of the pool, so it looks like I have like 3 ways to attach a tube for vacuuming?
7. What's a main return? And how do I find where the water "returns to" in the pool? I don't see a way to turn it off/on in order to test what happens in the pool.
8. Should I just turn it off? Try to bring it back up to "working?".

Thanks for the help! This is a lot of information!

Last edited:
I feel your pain, especially since all that plumbing looks so neat!

The 3 suction-side feeds into the pump look perfectly normal. Then, I get confused.

Why is that hose bib with the red handle where it is? Doesn't look like it's in the right place for a backwash outlet and, at it's height, I don't know what it would drain.

I don't see anything like a multiport valve on that filter, not even a push/pull valve like on some styles of filters.

That MPULSE3000 thing is a magic water treatment system. Google for it and you'll see what I mean.

I don't see how that manifold w/ the returns gets water, unless maybe, it's a buried loop from the MPULSE3000 back up through that gadget on line 4. Maybe that gadget is the Resilience SWG that JBlizzle mentioned.

Got any idea who did the install? Might be worth a call.

Good luck!

After the mpulse thing it makes a shallow loop underground. Move about two inches of that rock, and you'll see the pipe. The blue thing sticking up is the flow switch for the SWG. It then loops up through the blue and clear SWG into the return manifold and goes out to the different returns from there. I have basically the same SWG. I'm guessing that's a cartridge filter from the lack of a multiport type valve. The hose bib I would assume is just to hook a garden hose up to drain some water in case you had heavy rains. That's where my help runs out. No idea about the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got any idea who did the install? Might be worth a call.

There's a number for Paddocks Pools and Spas on my timer that you can see in the picture. That's a great idea. In fact, I'm going to give them a call and find out how much it would be for them to do a check-up / teaching session with me. But, in the meantime, I'm going to keep trying to figure out about this SWG and how it's working.

The blue thing sticking up is the flow switch for the SWG. It then loops up through the blue and clear SWG into the return manifold and goes out to the different returns from there. I have basically the same SWG.

Ahhh!! The water goes "up" there to the other returns. Thank you. I've been trying to figure that out for awhile. That makes sense. So how do I pull it apart? If I haven't touched this thing in almost 4 years, do you think it might still work?

I'm guessing that's a cartridge filter from the lack of a multiport type valve. The hose bib I would assume is just to hook a garden hose up to drain some water in case you had heavy rains. That's where my help runs out. No idea about the rest.

You are correct about the cartridge filter. And as for the hose bib, I believe you are right about it being there to let "a bit of water out". I've actually never used it.

Have you checked your salt level? Do any of the output lights light up on the SWG control box when you turn the dial? It looks like it has some build up on the plates. To take it out, there is a black boot on each side of the SWG. Slide it up, and underneath is a pin that sticks up. The wire connects to a sleeve that has a screw in it to tighten onto that pin. Loosen the screw and the sleeve will slide up and off the pin. After that just loosen the union above and below the cell and it should come right out. There is an o-ring on each end that you'll wanna lube before you but it back together. Actually, you can take it out without taking the wires off, but they will need to be taken off to clean it. If you do clean it, and you don't have the end cap to put on one side to just fill the cell, take off the orings and the plastic insulator parts off the pins on the sides before you put it in the cleaning solution. You can use either vinegar or diluted muriatic acid to clean it. I've heard 10:1 and 15:1 water:acid ratio. I cleaned mine last night with 10:1, which by my figures is about a 3% acid solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.