Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to treat for scaling

1. Back To Top    #1

When to treat for scaling

Ok so I have some pretty good scaling in my pool as well as some other stains. I purchased two Jack's magic test kits, and tested each seperatly. I found that the 02 shock and then the #2 stain remover would take care of both of them. My question is when should I treat for the stains. Should I do it in about two weeks and once complete close my pool for the winter, or should I do it right after I open the pool in the spring?

My worry is that some scalling may come back if I do the treatment now, and I wasn't sure about all those extra chemicals staying in there over the winter. If there are no worries with this I would prefer to go ahead and treat before I close. The only other thing to note is that I will have to drop my TA from 100 to 80 so that may take some extra time as well.

Thoughts? Thanks for the help!
    25,000 gallon Gunite in ground pool built in 2010. Hayward Tristar 1hp pump, Hayward Smartfilter 550 cartridge filter with 4 Pleatco PA-137 filters(replaced 2014), Nature 2 Fusion in ground(only used for when out of town now that I've switched to bleach), and a Polaris PB4-60Q booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to treat for scaling

Are you talking about calcium scaling? There is not quick and easy treatment for that. You either have to do an acid was or maintain a low CSI with a lot of brushing.

Although a lot of your post makes me think you are talking about metal staining.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: When to treat for scaling

I believe it is calcium scaling, but I also have some other spots that I'm unsure of. I plan to use the jacks magic. The test kit took it right off. I figured 3 weeks or so would take care of everything.
    25,000 gallon Gunite in ground pool built in 2010. Hayward Tristar 1hp pump, Hayward Smartfilter 550 cartridge filter with 4 Pleatco PA-137 filters(replaced 2014), Nature 2 Fusion in ground(only used for when out of town now that I've switched to bleach), and a Polaris PB4-60Q booster pump.