Just tried the new test kit,It's like Christmas!

tvfoxy59

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2008
Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY
Just did my first test! I am a certified lab rat(actually I am a certified lab scientist, so this is up my alley,so to speak!)
When the test kit came in the mail, I said, Yippee!. My teenage son said, "What are you so excited about?" Kids, they just don't get it!
Here are my results:FC 8
CC.5
CYA60
TA80
pH7.5-7.8
My pool generally looks OK, but it is getting a little cloudy in the deep end.
I just bought the chlorine at the pool store, 12.5%, 4 gals for 13.00. Seemed like a good deal.
Perhaps I need to raise my alkalinity? I had been using the 3" pucks in a floater, but that stopped today!
Thanks for any input,T. :wave:

Congrats on your first test! But, you also have the lab coat to go with the kit! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Has your FC dropped below the Minimum FC of 5ppm? This could have allowed some algae to get started.

Your TA of 80 is actually kinda' perfect! (Recommended range 70 - 90)

Can you get a little closer on the pH level?

What is your CH?

My FC might have gottena little low about a week or so ago, so that might explain the algae bloom. I have been in the process of changing to BBB and realized that most of the algae probs were due to low chlorine. I also had been on vacation for a week in early July and that is when I tried the pucks for ease of use. Soooo....
I actually had a more difficult time accurately reading the ph level with the test kit. It is of course just me but I did the test and went from by the pool, to in the house, to turning the light on, natural daylight, to determine the reading. Neighbors are probably saying, " What in the H#$% is that crazy Teresa trying Now?!?" Oh, well, just another day in the hood!
Also, I have read about a skimmer sock, what is it exactly and where, when and why?
Thanks again, :handwave: T.

Skimmer socks are little nylon bags that fit over your skimmer basket. They catch a bunch of Crud that would otherwise end up in your filter. Here's some pictures I took once of my skimmer & skimmer sock. You can see the small dirt and sediment that it trapped. You can get these at a pool store, or at WallyWorld.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

I use nylon knee high stockings, they work great and are much cheaper. I have been amazed of the little settiment that was getting into my filter, now it is stopped before it gets there. (I learned this on this great forum!!) I have a new filter and pump this year, so I was so happy to learn of this from the start with the new system. :-D

Hi Teresa :wave: Welcome to TFP!!

Glad you're enjoying the new kit For the pH test, have you tried holding a white card behind the test block to better gauge the colors? Also test with the sun to your back :wink:

Enjoy your new 'toy' and don't hesitate to ask us questions about your results (... just remember to post all the results when you ask a question :hammer: :lol: )

The skimmer socks do a better job, but in a pinch (or if you can't find them .. they've been on backorder since JUNE for the store at work :eek: :shock: ) you can use a kneehigh to do almost the same thing.

OOPS - I see Tysnest posted this while I was typing :oops:

Hi,
I tested my CH and it was 300.
My pH is 7.8. I tried your suggestion on how to read with sun behind and it seemed to help.
I also found that when I did my CH that I didn't mix(invert) between drops to see the real blue . I just lightly swirled which apparently not enough. So the first reading I got was like 420.There was some tiny particles suspended in the solution which went back into solution when I redid the test and inverted between adding drops. That reading was 300. Brushed the pool and added 1/2 gal of 12.5% cl this AM. Of course it is raining now1
We have had a pretty wet summer.
My next door neighbor just joined this great website. She is Dottie from Buffalo!
I have been trying to help her!
Thanks again for your help! T. :)

Sorry, I hit the wrong key, and lost my last post,GRRR!
I really struggle with the posting,sorry. Actually the the last sentence took me about 1.5-2 min to type.
latest readings;pH 7.2-7.4
FC 2.5
CC1.5
TA
CYA
Water is little cloudy, slightly brown
I just dumped in 1.5 gal 12% cl
Now,I dumped that into the skimmer,is that OK? Or should it go in front of a return?
Thanks,T.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.