Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just tried the new test kit,It's like Christmas!

1. Back To Top    #1

Just tried the new test kit,It's like Christmas!

Just did my first test! I am a certified lab rat(actually I am a certified lab scientist, so this is up my alley,so to speak!)
    When the test kit came in the mail, I said, Yippee!. My teenage son said, "What are you so excited about?" Kids, they just don't get it!
    Here are my results:FC 8
    CC.5
    CYA60
    TA80
    pH7.5-7.8
    My pool generally looks OK, but it is getting a little cloudy in the deep end.
    I just bought the chlorine at the pool store, 12.5%, 4 gals for 13.00. Seemed like a good deal.
    Perhaps I need to raise my alkalinity? I had been using the 3" pucks in a floater, but that stopped today!
    Thanks for any input,T.
    15x 30 inground oval vinyl lined. 15000gals. Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter. Laars lite natural gas heater. 6 foot slide, underwater light . 3.5 ft. shallow,to 7ft. deepend. TF 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just tried the new test kit,It's like Christmas!

Congrats on your first test! But, you also have the lab coat to go with the kit!

Has your FC dropped below the Minimum FC of 5ppm? This could have allowed some algae to get started.

Your TA of 80 is actually kinda' perfect! (Recommended range 70 - 90)

Can you get a little closer on the pH level?

What is your CH?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My FC might have gottena little low about a week or so ago, so that might explain the algae bloom. I have been in the process of changing to BBB and realized that most of the algae probs were due to low chlorine. I also had been on vacation for a week in early July and that is when I tried the pucks for ease of use. Soooo....
    I actually had a more difficult time accurately reading the ph level with the test kit. It is of course just me but I did the test and went from by the pool, to in the house, to turning the light on, natural daylight, to determine the reading. Neighbors are probably saying, " What in the H#$% is that crazy Teresa trying Now?!?" Oh, well, just another day in the hood!
    Also, I have read about a skimmer sock, what is it exactly and where, when and why?
    Thanks again, T.
    15x 30 inground oval vinyl lined. 15000gals. Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter. Laars lite natural gas heater. 6 foot slide, underwater light . 3.5 ft. shallow,to 7ft. deepend. TF 100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Skimmer socks are little nylon bags that fit over your skimmer basket. They catch a bunch of **** that would otherwise end up in your filter. Here's some pictures I took once of my skimmer & skimmer sock. You can see the small dirt and sediment that it trapped. You can get these at a pool store, or at WallyWorld.

24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

5. Back To Top    #5

I use nylon knee high stockings, they work great and are much cheaper. I have been amazed of the little settiment that was getting into my filter, now it is stopped before it gets there. (I learned this on this great forum!!) I have a new filter and pump this year, so I was so happy to learn of this from the start with the new system.
    Tysnest

18x33 AGP
    16000 gallons
    Waterford 1 1/2 HP/2speed
    Waterford High Rate Sand Filter 21 inch tank
    SunGrabber Solar Panels 3 2x20 ft panels
    New at this pool and clueless

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Teresa Welcome to TFP!!

Glad you're enjoying the new kit For the pH test, have you tried holding a white card behind the test block to better gauge the colors? Also test with the sun to your back

Enjoy your new 'toy' and don't hesitate to ask us questions about your results (... just remember to post all the results when you ask a question )

The skimmer socks do a better job, but in a pinch (or if you can't find them .. they've been on backorder since JUNE for the store at work ) you can use a kneehigh to do almost the same thing.

OOPS - I see Tysnest posted this while I was typing
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi,
    I tested my CH and it was 300.
    My pH is 7.8. I tried your suggestion on how to read with sun behind and it seemed to help.
    I also found that when I did my CH that I didn't mix(invert) between drops to see the real blue . I just lightly swirled which apparently not enough. So the first reading I got was like 420.There was some tiny particles suspended in the solution which went back into solution when I redid the test and inverted between adding drops. That reading was 300. Brushed the pool and added 1/2 gal of 12.5% cl this AM. Of course it is raining now1
    We have had a pretty wet summer.
    My next door neighbor just joined this great website. She is Dottie from Buffalo!
    I have been trying to help her!
    Thanks again for your help! T.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry, I hit the wrong key, and lost my last post,GRRR!
    I really struggle with the posting,sorry. Actually the the last sentence took me about 1.5-2 min to type.
    latest readings;pH 7.2-7.4
    FC 2.5
    CC1.5
    TA
    CYA
    Water is little cloudy, slightly brown
    I just dumped in 1.5 gal 12% cl
    Now,I dumped that into the skimmer,is that OK? Or should it go in front of a return?
    Thanks,T.

9. Back To Top    #9

Keep the pump running, it should be okay. Probably better to pour it slowly in front of the return. Did you use the pool calculator to get that amount?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com