Swimming Pool to Skating Rink

Rob

May 23, 2007
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm assuming it would involve equipment, so here goes...

We live in Canada, giving us about 3 months of swimming in a pool that might hit 80 (which is actually fine with me, I like it cold!) We have in inground vinyl liner pool.

Anyone ever convert their pool to a skating rink for the winter months? I'm trying to figure out a safe way to do it. I'd need something to protect the exposed liner from skates, and then would need to figure out a way to get a layer of ice while still covering the pool. For protecting the liner, I could make up boards for around the pool, or maybe sand bags.

Thoughts?

Since no one answered your post, I'll give it a try.

My answer would be no. I never tried to make a rink out of my pool but I also never will try. There are lots of products to buy to make a rink without using a pool as a start.

Here is one:
http://www.cheappoolproducts.com/Backya ... plies.html

If you are really thinking about making your pool a rink, just go to your local pool store and get an estimated cost of replacing your liner; just so you know where you stand.

You could build a rink out of 2X4s and plastic sheets.

Do what you think best.

I put a rink up every year for my son who plays hockey.
I don't use the pool too much chance for damage of all types.
I frame it with 2X10's and purchased a liner from nicerinks.com.
Last year sucked for ice but we have had many good years for it. I try
to have the rink set up before closing the pool to recycle the water from the
pool to the rink. I would imagine you can make some awesome ice up there...

We live in Wisconsin and when I was a kid, my Dad let us use the pool for ice skating one winter. We had an inground, vinyl-liner pool that he had built himself from a kit. We didn't do anything special to protect the liner, just piled snow around the outside edge to keep us from hitting the sides of the pool. We had a great time as kids ice-skating on the pool. My parents were pretty carefree about it. Today, I have my own inground vinyl-liner pool, and I don't think I would ever try to do this to my own pool.

Oh yeah, it worries me too. Thing is, our entire backyard is basically pool. If we had a larger lot with the option of setting up a rink somewhere else, I'd probably do that.

Thanks for the feedback though, and I know the price of a liner, we just replaced it, and I wouldn't want to go through that again :)

I wouldn't do it. We had an above ground pool back when I was little in Pa. The top 4 inches froze and we thought we would get on top of it and play. It worked great for a while, then the one huge piece of ice, the entire thing started to turn in the pool and it ripped the liner and down it went, fast. What a mess. At those temps, it doesn't take much to put a rip in the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.