Pool Liner is a little loose in the corners of a 90 degree radius pool....any advice?

Jul 25, 2010
North Bergen, NJ
Folks, I just finally got my new pool installed last week and I noticed something minor that the pool builder told me not to worry about but I worry about things.....

I have a 14x26 90degree radius rectangle pool and in the shallow end I have 3 steel entry steps running across the entire shallow end of the pool like a roman bath house style pool.

The liner is installed over these steps and I notice that in the top step corners, on both sides, the liner doesnt tightly fit snug into the corners...theres a little sag (altho, the liner is aligned with the track fine, it just appears that the liner may be slightly overcut to accomadate some shrinkage in the future. (At least thats what the pool builder said. He said dont worry because the liner will shrink in the colder climate(i'm in the NJ area) and he said when it shrinks a bit, it will form to fit fine over time.

I also noticed in the deep end that the corners arent actually tucked into the 90 degree corners, theres a little bow on both sides near the top....what I mean is that if you press your finger into the corner, theres a tight tenstion on the liner and there is a pocket of air maybe less than an inch that stretches across the corner in a curve. He also said this is normal and you will never get the liner to crease completely into the entire corners....There will always be a small pocket of sweep across the the 90 degree corners near the top. I hope I can trust him, but more importantly, I hope this doesnt introduce any risks

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are if the builder says "it will be fine" then I would like his fine promise in writing and a guarantee that he will fix it at no cost should it ever become not "fine" since I pointed it out to him beforehand.

And that's a very long sentence with poor structure and I'm sure some grammar and punctuation flaws but I like it. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice...but before I start attacking my pool builder with statements in writing, I'd like to know if anyone thinks there is any validity to his points about Pool liners eventually shrinking into place over time? I know its hard to make a judgement call without pictures, but this is really just in the corners above the the left and right side top step which may only be an area of 1/2 and inch or so....it just not completely tight and tense. It has a little give...thats about it on the shallow end....

..And also the statement about the fact that deep end 90 degree corner radius pools never really have the line creasing fully into the corners near the top?

He has been a very good builder throughout the process and has been in business over 30 years, I just dont feel comfortable calling him out with asking for certain things in writing until I do a little more poking around on my own. I hope this makes sense. Im a very shy person :)

Every liner that I have installed or been called to look at over our 30 plus year history on a square cornered pool does exactly what you describe. We won't build a pool,that way unless that is absolutely the only way. At some point in the future you will have an issue with the square corner and the vinyl.

The OP describes every 6" liner pool in existence. This is why liner pools were traditionally 2' radius at the corners. However, 6" radius has almost become the standard and I'd guess that most people don't have significant issues with the liner at the top of the corners because of it being stretched. The alternative is a saggy, wrinkled liner, so they're designed this way.

Assuming there isn't something else wrong (we'd need to see pictures to know), then I say no biggie, just go swimming!

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.