Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lower ph after adding bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lower ph after adding bleach?

I ran out of bleach and wasnt able to add anything to the pool for id say 4 days. The water got cloudy, and then overnight turned green. Well, i added a whole bottle 121oz. 7.25 chlorine to the pool and tested the water after an hour read 5-10 chlorine. I have the basic leslies test kit for chlorine, ph and alkilinity. Ph was 8.2. So now im reading i should have lowered the ph first. should i put some muriatic acid in now? Or just use the bleach?
    intex 20' x 52" ag
    intex 2800 sand filter pump (2150 gph)
    michigan
    second year with pool
    taylor k-1004 dpd kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lower ph after adding bleach?

The reason you lower pH before you raise the FC level is because the higher FC level (above 10ppm I think) will cause the pH to read incorrectly. If you check your pH with a high FC level then you can see the orange color get darker and darker and darker within seconds. In other words it can show 8.2 when its really 7.6. If your real quick about reading the pH color shade after you put the drops in, it will be the first shade you can see. If you second guess yourself then it will already be a shade darker. If your not sure what your pH is then you shouldnt add it until your FC drops because you can easily send it down below 6.8 and not know it.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

since that'd been addressed. I'd strongly suggest you buy one of the recommended test kits.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison

Personally I've been very pleased with the TF100.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4

I did the same as you and did not lower the pH prior to starting slam. I added acid from prior experience to get it down to 7.2 ballparkish. It helped clear up the water and I wish I would have done it sooner and I got some stains cause of the high pH.
    16K gallon in ground plaster pool
    Hayward star clear plus c1202 Cartridge filter
    4 speed Pentair Intelliflo Pump
    TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    since that'd been addressed. I'd strongly suggest you buy one of the recommended test kits.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...its-comparison

Personally I've been very pleased with the TF100.
    agreed. It's been over a month from your post of CYA/chlorine issues and you are still using a basic Leslie's test kit?

You really need a good test kit and to catch up on the reading that was suggested before.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon