Drain and Refill-When to Add Chlrorine?

Apr 29, 2014
Murrieta California
Hello all,

Second time poster, continuous lurker!

CYA was off the charts, almost fully drained and now refilling. bought the Taylor K-2006 and excited to start the TFP liquid chlorine method.

I am sure I'll have plenty of questions but, first things first, add chlorine as the pool fills to stave off algae, or wait until it's full and then add the chlorine?

Thanks!

p.s I'll update my signature shortly.

-Justin

Even for the smaller Intex-type pools, all recommendations seems to be to add chlorine during the fill process. I imagine with a larger pool (more fill time, thus more time for algae to get established before fill is complete) it may be even more important to keep up with the chlorine as you go. I'm not particularly familiar with the anatomy of big in-ground pools, but I imagine you should be doing some stirring by hand if the water level isn't high enough yet to run the pump.

Did you do your almost complete drain with an eye to ending up with an appropriate CYA level in the pool (from your remnant of old pool water)? Or do you expect to be starting from scratch, and having to add CYA to your new water?

Wow beautiful pool! Have you had your tap water tested?

Thanks! It was a repo and the backyard was neglected quite a bit by some old owners. Neighbor said he helped the guy before me pull a few chairs and child's bike out from the bottom of the pool, was so green they didn't know it was down there.

Haven't had our tap water tested, though our county is some of the worst in the nation.

- - - Updated - - -

You've either got a major leak or, that's a really old picture before you refilled it?:jocolor:

Timerguy, that was the picture as of last Saturday, it has since been filled and is a slight shade of emerald :eek:

10 AM SLAM update. Will post chem results tonight, they're at home, I'm at work.

pool10am by JustinMc., on Flickr
But off the top of my head:

FC-13
CYA-O

Yes, zero! Did the test a few times, definitely nada. Have CYA granules in a sock in the skimmer basket while shocking the pool, does that seem ok? Didn't want to wait until the CYA was at the appropriate level to SLAM. While I realize this means more FC loss than need be, it's suppose to be 101 here this weekend, trying to get the pool ready :cool:

Wife is dutifully testing FC for me every 2 hours and adding appropriate amount to maintain SLAM level.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I had the idea that while the pool was mostly drained I could go to work on some of the rust stains while they were easily accessible....maybe not such a good idea. Scrubbed the spots while no water was on them, which turned the rust to a fine dust and dulled the stained spots. Yay right? Accept now the rust dust is speckled around my pool and has bonded with the plaster, and in some spots, looks terrible due to puddled water from the partial drain. From what I've read there are several possible options, chemical (concentrated absorbic acid), or rubbing vitamin c tablets. Any other suggestions? I fear my lack of foresight and thoughtfulness might have ruined the look of my pool. :(

Pictures of the crime below:

Rust problems by JustinMc., on Flickr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.